Progress, Y3 to Y4

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

NorthLondonMum

Progress, Y3 to Y4

Post by NorthLondonMum »

I have just had my daughter's year 4, end of year report and I am unimpressed with her progress as shown by her NC levels.

Y2 Y3 Y4
Reading 3 3a/4c 4c
Writing 2a 3b 4c
Maths 3 3a 4c

Now I realise that 4c is an Ok level, it's just that her progress seems to be slowing down (apart from writing which I'm happy with, except she can't spell but that's another thread) to the extent that it worries me.

I'm not sure how objective these levels are. We have our consultation tomorrow and I don't know what to say to the teacher, I have already had discussions with her this year about lack of progress and I don't seem to get much reaction.

We live in a very competitive area for schools and her brother had a 4A in maths at this stage and it was still a struggle.

Any thoughts, opinions or advice welcomed.
yoyo123

Re: Progress, Y3 to Y4

Post by yoyo123 »

I would expect a child to move 2 sub levels a year..each level is broken down into 3 sub levels c, b, a..
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Hi

3B is average for Y4. Children are expected to progress roughly 2 sub-levels a year, but it doesn't quite work out, so many children progress one sub-level, at some point.

You don't say if these are teacher assessments only or Y4 SAT results. I give end of year results as my own assessments partly informed by SATs.

It is a while since I've taught Y4, but I am sure there is still a choice between maths papers, it was not possible to get a 4A on the easier paper, because there were not enough level 4 questions and annoyingly some more able mathematicians found the harder paper a bit challenging and scored lower than 4C, because so many of the questions were level 4.
It would be worth asking about reading - I find children often stop reading with parents at about this age and their reading level may stall because they choose popular, but unchallenging stories; or they choose books that are too hard, they can read the words but don't understand the vocabulary or deeper meaning. This is an area I work very hard on during guided reading.

Lastly please try not to compare children, it's hard I know - I've got 4!

Good luck with parents' evening.
Manana

Post by Manana »

NorthLondonMum wrote:I have just had my daughter's year 4, end of year report and I am unimpressed with her progress as shown by her NC levels.

Y2 Y3 Y4
Reading 3 3a/4c 4c
Writing 2a 3b 4c
Maths 3 3a 4c

Now I realise that 4c is an Ok level, it's just that her progress seems to be slowing down (apart from writing which I'm happy with, except she can't spell but that's another thread) to the extent that it worries me.

I'm not sure how objective these levels are. We have our consultation tomorrow and I don't know what to say to the teacher, I have already had discussions with her this year about lack of progress and I don't seem to get much reaction.

We live in a very competitive area for schools and her brother had a 4A in maths at this stage and it was still a struggle.

Any thoughts, opinions or advice welcomed.
We expect our children to make 3 sublevels progress each year in KS1 and 2 in KS2-which is considered 'good'. 'Satisfactory' progress would be 1.5 sublevels per year, but obviously this is rather difficult to measure exactly! Your daughter has gone from a 3c to a 4c in two years in Maths/Reading (one whole level) and a 2a to a 4c (more than one level) so she is making expected progress. It can be difficult, because she may well have only just been eg a 3a in maths at the end of Y3, but is now nearly (but not quite) a 4b-so you may feel that the levels don't look like she's made enough progress.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

trouble is the levels are 'clunky' you can go up a level by getting 2 extra marks or 'stay the same' and have made double figures progress
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I don't know much about levels , only that we can get a bit stressed about them, so how do you feel about her progress in general ? Do you think her maths has improved, her reading better ? Look at the things which you can measure and then tomorrow you can ask her teacher how she thinks she has improved on specific things rather then what each level means.On a personal note my first son was 3a at the end of year 4 and is now level 5 for reading , level 6 for maths. ( a lot less for writing !) they do suddenly fly and so try not to worry about how the school is marking her, but encourage and help at home....a little one to one works wonders! :)
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

Thanks to everyone for taking the trouble to reply.

I guess I have felt that she has drifted this year, and that her teaches don't really "get" her as she is quiet in class.

She reads a lot and I think her comprehension is good, but i would think it likely that she sometimes doesn't ask about a word she doesn't know when she is enjoying the story. I honestly think that for reading she is at least as good as her brother at the same stage but much shyer and less willing to contribute in class (he was a 4b), but I take the point that there is little difference between a good 4c and a just 4b and probably shouldn't read too much into it.

I'm only comparing her with her brother to guage the amount of work there is to do to get into a suitable school, they are different in most respects.

It is really helpful to hear peoples comments, helps get it in perspective.

Regarding whether test result or teacher assessment. This is never explicitly stated in their reports and I have to try and get that info at the consultation (and they are sometimes still not clear). I am concerned that in maths the expectations of her class are lower than they were for her brother's class and she may not have had the opportunity to cover the same ground as he did.

I guess whatever they say tomorrow year 5 will be a fresh start and I will be doing more serious DIY tutoring with her, I hope her year 5 teachers see her in a more positive light.

Thanks again.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Taking on board what people have said about the dangers for comparing children - I did wonder, however, whether one is summer born and the other a winter baby?
Both in terms of development - and also whether you live in an area that takes birth date into account in the marking process?
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

Good question push- pull mum. They are both old in their year, which has benefited them both. Some of the schools around here do use age standardisation at 11+ so I am mindful of that.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

My year 4 son is quiet too and I can imagine may not contribute much in class if he isn't comfortable with the group he's in.However in the last few weeks I have noticed a real difference in terms of his confidence and abilities.He seems to be following the same pattern as his brother ( we're great at comparing ! ) and I think sometimes due to many reasons, one of which is maturity they can plateau for a while and she may suddenly fly next year especially if you are arranging tutoring. Perhaps when you speak to her teacher ask her if there are any particularly weak areas which you might get a chance to work on in the holidays ?