Clocks ticking for November

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
NOTLEY PARENTS

Clocks ticking for November

Post by NOTLEY PARENTS »

Tick tock....Im starting to get that familiar panicky feeling already, it sneaks up whenever I sit down to browse the 11+ forum and reminds me there is only 4 and a half months to go. Having been through it already and having my DD coming to the end of her first year at CCHS you would have thought I would find it easier, knowing what to do etc but I think it has put more pressure on us all really knowing what she could have if she works hard and tries her best. Having another elder child at the local comp and seeing what goes on there has made us even more determined for her to go to a grammar school that will bring out the best in her. I cant help but compare her test results with my other daughter (just as a guide) and she is doing better that her elder sister was at this time, before her exam the majority of the time so Im hoping thats a good sign. Her recent school report was glowing and she was set at a 5c for reading and maths, which according to her teacher is the highest mark she can get in her year (year 5). She was only just 10 in April so we are really pleased with her but Im sure I read a while back someones DD getting a 6 so Im a little baffled at that, unless some schools have different levels.
dutchy005

Re: Clocks ticking for November

Post by dutchy005 »

Most of the prep schools get their grammar school hopefuls and those who might get scholarships to indies a year ahead and then test accordingly. They also do NFER Cat tests that give indicators up to 6.
KM

Post by KM »

Hello Notley Parents - I sympathise as I am feeling the same! I have a dd in Y9 at CCHS and my ds is doing the 11+ in November. I am finding it difficult second time round as we know how much dd loves being in a grammar school and we want the same for ds. He is every bit as bright as his sister but it all boils down to how they perform on one day. Aaargh! Roll on March!
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

Hi KM and Notley Parents,
I am also in a similar situation. My elder DS is at CRGS starting Year 8 in September - he has had a lovely year and I am still extremely proud and grateful that he managed to get a place there. My youngest DS will be sitting the 11+ this November. He is as bright as his elder brother but does lack some enthusiasm in doing the extra work needed. He also got level 5's in his report this year in all subjects. I am extremely worried and stressed about the whole thing. The stakes are much higher with one DS already at Grammar. I worry constantly about what I am doing but could not deny my youngest DS sitting the 11+ when he was keen to do this. Am going to need lots of Pimm's O'clocks throughout the next 8 months!!!!!
NOTLEY PARENTS

Post by NOTLEY PARENTS »

Hi all, Im so glad Im not only one feeling like this, I thought it was just me! All this 11+ work has been dragging on for years now (last child now thankfully) and Im rather bored of it myself. Looking forward to a mass burning of the books/papers in November though in our chimnea!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now