Timetable for the summer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loo1965

Timetable for the summer

Post by loo1965 »

Just wondered if anyone can give me some pointers for the summer as we sit our exams in Sep.
I was intending to do 1 NVR and 1 VR paper per week. I have AFN, IPS and GL assessment. I also have Bond books. He has been doing practice at school as well. Do you think this is enough/ too much - trying for Kings
Any other advice or recommended papers
Thanks
Loo
LoobyLoo

Re: Timetable for the summer

Post by LoobyLoo »

Hiya - we're trying for Kings too. During the school holidays, I was planning on an hour a week with his tutor (we're out of county) plus one of each GL practice papers per week at home. I want to keep the momentum going whilst still allowing him a school holiday. If I can persuade him to do a few of the Bond ten minute tests as well, that'll be a bonus! That said, I am going to have a week off completely and go away for a few days, just to give him a break. Good luck.
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

Hi thanks for the reply. He is having a week away with friends so that's his week off!!!!
Did you go to the open evening at kings a couple of weeks ago?
Loo
LoobyLoo

Post by LoobyLoo »

Hi Loo
Yes, we went to both Kings and Carres open evenings. We were impressed with both schools but the maturity of the boys at Kings won that first place in our opinion. Hopefully our Son does well enough in September. What did you think? Other than the lack of air conditioning, we couldn't fault Kings!
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

Yes it was stifling!! Especially in the chemistry lab with the Bunsen burners on as well!! Kings is our local and I like the fact it's single sex so that is why we are going for it. My son excels at sport so I hope the opportunities are there as well as not very much to see on the open evening
Loo
LoobyLoo

Post by LoobyLoo »

Yes, chemistry was mad wasn't it. I loved the enthusiasm of the guy doing the jelly baby experiment, just what kids need. Our son enjoys cricket but isn't sporty by any means, however I understand Kings have done really well in all sports over the last few years so I'm sure he'll be absolutely fine. Kings seemed to cater for just about every taste whether it was sport, music, drama etc etc. Fingers crossed they both get in! Where are you sitting the exam? Our primary doesn't support 11+ at all as we're out of county.
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

We sit at kings - as the headmaster said I'm sure I will be more nervous than the boys!!! I wish it was all over so we could relax and enjoy the summer
Loo
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

Just do what you can. The reality is that 'holiday mode' sets in. Most boys do very little over the Summer. Neither of my boys did much at all (despite ambitious plans!). The first one was sick of the papers by then and the second one is a bit lazy. He had family holiday, holiday with best friend, scout camp etc. So no wonder he didnt do much!

Still got in though 8) If things dont go according to plan (!), try to start again on 1st Sept - that way they have a few weeks to settle down.

Good Luck!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now