Computer security

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scary mum

Computer security

Post by scary mum »

A while ago someone very helpfully posted about computer security. My expensive package is about to run out and I have a feeling s/he said you really didn't need to buy stuff, that it was all out there for free. Can anyone point me in the direction of the post? I've done a search but either haven't put the right terms in or it was buried in a post about something else.

Also in the 2 years I've had this package it hasn't detected any serious problem, just deleted loads of tracking cookies. It does rather helpfully remember all my login deatils and passwords which might cause me problems when it goes :oops:
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Re: Computer security

Post by Sally-Anne »

AVG anti-virus does a good job. Add CCleaner and Registry Mechanic to sort out a few other things. File Hippo is quite useful as well - it alerts you to software updates.

All of them are free and reputable.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Microsoft Security Essentials is also free http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I hate AVG, but if you want free you're pretty much stuck with it. If you're willing to pay for the privilege of owning your own laptop rather than occasionally being allowed to use the one owned by your antivirus software, I recommend ESET - especially if you've got more than 1 PC because the pricing gets quite appealing for 2+ PCs.

Mike
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Thank you everyone. can anyone remember the post I'm talking about? there was quite a lot of useful stuff in it. I'll have another look when I get home tonight.

I currently have Norton and it seems to have made my PC grind to a halt. Or maybe it's just because its a few yars old (only about 3 actually!).
scary mum
Chocolatey Mum

Post by Chocolatey Mum »

We had Norton on a previous laptop and that progressively got slower and slower until it no longer worked. I hope you are backing everything up because we didn't and lots the lot. We all learn from our mistakes.

When we replaced the laptop we chose to change to mcaffy and that seems ok. We now also back up data to a no click thing which backs up data from two laptops. We have also used it to transfer files!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

McAfee's as bad as Norton - get rid!!

Use the free version of AVG
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

AVG is as bad as either imho and the free version is annoyingly intrusive.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

The only one I can think of is when I posted about a certain PC company not returning my laptop and my email being hacked into while this company was still in possession of it. There was a lot of advice given in response to this. I'm pretty sure it was in this section.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 38&t=18772" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This, perhaps?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now