How much point do each university require for entrance??

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
OrganicGreen

How much point do each university require for entrance??

Post by OrganicGreen »

Is there a list somewhere which states roughly how much points is needed for entrance? I know that this depends on each subject in each university.. but there must be a list somewhere that give you a rough guide line?

Say Oxford and Cambridge need much more point than say Stafford Uni. would Oxford be say 1100+ points and Stafford be 600-700?????

I am looking into a school 4 my son and want to see roughly what sort of uni he could get a place at based on it's average A level points/pupil of that school.

Many Thanks
REad, Read and read some more. Learning is nothing but fun
yoyo123

Re: How much point do each university require for entrance??

Post by yoyo123 »

have you tried looking at some of the Good University guides eg the Times one? There should be copies in public library , worth searching online too.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Have a look at the UCAS website which gives entrance requirements for every course. Not many of the better universities expect a number of points, they generally prescribe grades required eg AAA etc, and as an A* is worth 140 points, maximum points would be 420 with three A Levels .

I'm not really sure how the league tables produce the A/AS points, maybe each subject is awarded points, but that doesn't happen in reality as points are only awarded for the final level - you don't get points for AS English and A2 English for applying to university, only for the final A2 grade. Obviously the higher the score the better.
OrganicGreen

Post by OrganicGreen »

Looking for help wrote:Have a look at the UCAS website which gives entrance requirements for every course. Not many of the better universities expect a number of points, they generally prescribe grades required eg AAA etc, and as an A* is worth 140 points, maximum points would be 420 with three A Levels .

I'm not really sure how the league tables produce the A/AS points, maybe each subject is awarded points, but that doesn't happen in reality as points are only awarded for the final level - you don't get points for AS English and A2 English for applying to university, only for the final A2 grade. Obviously the higher the score the better.

Thanks Looking for Help. I did a search on Ucas website and I can see the points asked for .. Eg Nottingham Uni - accounts and finance wants 240 points.

ON here.. http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/per ... F=51&L=100." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. it shows students getting 600-1000 points per student. Where can I see points where the Uni entrance and the school results points system match??
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ooops OG - points not being calculated in same way !!! Will be back in a mo with the answer..

edit:

http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shows that an A at A level is 120, an A* is 140

for the tables you are looking at then you need to click on the middle tab and find "students and qualifications reported" - in there is a table showing the scores they use (differ from UCAS tarrifs)
eg:

How the average point score per student is calculated

The average point score per student is calculated as the sum of the QCDA points awarded to each 16 to 18 year old student, divided by the total number of 16 to 18 year old students at the end of study towards general and applied A/AS or equivalent level 3 qualifications. For example:

If student A achieves 2 general A levels at grade B, an applied A level at grade C and a general AS pass at grade D, they would score 780 points (240 + 240 + 210 + 90).

If student B achieves 1 applied Double Award at grade AB and an applied A level at grade B, and a Key Skill at level 3, they would score 813 points (510 + 240 + 63).

If student C attempts 1 general A level and receives a grade U but has passed the AS in the same subject with grade B, and achieves a distinction in a BTEC National Award, they would score 390 points (120 + 270).

Average point score per student

780 + 813 + 390 / 3 = 661 points

(The sum of each student's points) / (The total number of 16 to 18 year old students)
solimum

Post by solimum »

OrganicGreen (I've seen your other thread on the independent forum btw which gives context)

The best way would be to find out the actual universities and courses that leavers from the school in question have got places at. Many schools will have some kind of presentation/ prize evening where these destinations will be listed in the programme, and can prove fascinating reading (some schools have this info tucked away on their websites too). The Steiner school philosophy may not encourage this kind of event (I have no personal experience at all) in which case the fact that you are thinking about universities already may indicate that you are not necessarily in tune with their philosophy anyway....

As others have said, it is possible for some A level students to amass "points" on a range of courses (particularly if the school is crafty enough to include the Grade 8 piano results which will have been put on the UCAS form) many of which will be completely irrelevant to university entrance even if worthwhile in their own right, so comparisons can be misleading. It would also I think be very dangerous to look at "average" points scores especially for what I imagine is a very small cohort - these could easily be skewed by one bright lad one year who studies 9 A levels for fun having skipped GCSEs, or by the fact that everyone does general studies, or some other factors.
OrganicGreen

Post by OrganicGreen »

Thanks solimum & hermanmunster. I will look up the marks to see how I cam compare results and ask what universities and course that were taken up by the students.. actual see if they ahve a list.

The school advert mentioned that your child is educated "upto university".. so I am hoping that this steiner school will look more for academic results even (as previously stated by others) if they generally have a ethos of not wanting to be academic.
Looking for help

hermanmunster wrote:
If student A achieves 2 general A levels at grade B, an applied A level at grade C and a general AS pass at grade D, they would score 780 points (240 + 240 + 210 + 90).
Hi Herm, I'm interested in this myself as I always wondered how these scores were worked out.....how does a B equate to 240 points, and a D at AS count as 90 ?
And do you know what QDCA means?

Thanks

Aha...googled QCDA, so I know what that is now :D especially now that I have arranged the letters in the correct order :oops:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

And do you know what QDCA means?
Qualificationa and Curriculum Development Agency ( used to be QCA)
Looking for help

Thanks yoyo :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now