How much 11 + work over the holidays is enough?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
portia123

How much 11 + work over the holidays is enough?

Post by portia123 »

Hi all, looking forward to school finishing this week, just trying to work out how much work to do over the holidays to keep my son ticking over till September when he sits his exams one week into school starting. Planning on seeing the tutor once a week bar a week away who sets ds x3 pieces of homework a week that i will help him with first thing in the morning so we can enjoy ourselves and go on days out. Any advice?
andyb

Re: How much 11 + work over the holidays is enough?

Post by andyb »

portia123 wrote:Hi all, looking forward to school finishing this week, just trying to work out how much work to do over the holidays to keep my son ticking over till September when he sits his exams one week into school starting. Planning on seeing the tutor once a week bar a week away who sets ds x3 pieces of homework a week that i will help him with first thing in the morning so we can enjoy ourselves and go on days out. Any advice?
That sounds like more than enough to keep him ticking over :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Sounds like more than we will be doing :lol: . It probably partly depends where you are but I would think practising papers is about all you need at this stage. My plan is to get my DS to do a full paper once a week, except the 2 weeks when we are away, and then a couple of "daily" short tests each week, again, apart from when we are away. No doubt I will take the daily tests away with me and bring them back unopened!
scary mum
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

We followed a similar schedule a year ago - ie. 1 x tutor session, plus homework. I noticed that nearer the exam, my DS was slightly reluctant at times to do all the homework, so at times we compromised and didn't do it all. I didn't want him to a) burn out, 2) stress over it (thats my job!).
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Your current plan seems good!
;D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now