Turner Margate

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Turner Margate

Post by doodles »

Has anybody been to the Turner at Margate? Was wondering if it would make a nice day out as apparently it is only about 1hr 20 min drive from here. From here we automatically tend towards London for galleries and museums but quite fancy something out of town.
mystery

Re: Turner Margate

Post by mystery »

Website looks great. Is the beach worth a visit too?
westkent

Post by westkent »

Friends went this weekend with children aged 9 and 7. They said it was all over v quickly as only 4 rooms - certainly not a day out in its own right! Perhaps with older children each room could be poured over a little longer.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Don't know about now but it used to be acres of golden sand when I was a child. My grandparents lived in the area so we used to go there and Westgate beach quite a lot.

Thanks Westkent - maybe we can combine it with fish and chips on the beach!! :lol:
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

The beach is lovely but the town itself is a little rundown.
Blue Peter

Post by Blue Peter »

Hi Doodles - If you're looking for art on the Kent coast, you should go to the Folkestone Triennial Festival. It's a summer long art festival in the town of Folkestone - outside exhibits in the street / beach etc. If you google, it, you'll get staright to the website with all the details.

All the Best, Blue Peter

PS - Can't believe that Yr 7 is nearly over! They'll have a nice day tomorrow.
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

We have lovely bike rides down that way. If when you enter Margate the beach is on your left, the seafront road bears to your left so follow it round (past the Turner Gallery) and keep going for a few mins it becomes a bit more residential. Keep going and you'll come across lots of green topped cliffs where you can ride up the top and down ramps to a wide concrete path where you come across very small coves, view the wind farm, chalk on the walls with chalk fallen from the cliffs etc. Theres a mini golf and kids play area and several very, very reasonable cafes. If you keep going Broadstairs has a fantastic icecream parlour :D
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

We park up at reculver bay and cycle to Minniss bay. (near Margate). Its a nice beach and a lovely bike ride.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Aah Broadstairs, forgotten about there, spent many an afternoon there as a child, loved it. I can feel the Kent coast coming on this summer. Anywhere else that I've forgotten about?
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Romney Sands, Doodles. As wide as it's long. My DS ran off to fetch some water for his sand castle moat from the water's edge and was gone 30 mins, the sea was so far away. But it's gorgeous and the mini steam railway is fun.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now