12 plus exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jaia

12 plus exam

Post by jaia »

Has anyone heard of a 12 plus exam? Is it true that you can attempt to gain a selective place by taking this in year 7? Any information about how you would apply would be very much appreciated. Thank you in anticipation. Not quite ready to give up all hope. :idea:
scary mum

Re: 12 plus exam

Post by scary mum »

It is certainly a possibility in areas other than Kent, but I have no idea about Kent itself. Your local education authority should be able to tell you, or the schools themselves will know.
scary mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

If you apply late to a selective school they apply their own entrance tests. There is no such thing as a 12+ in Kent. You would need to ask each individual school how they would assess a potential entrant to years 8 upwards. Of course, the main problem is that the schools are full, even if your child passed their entrance criteria. You would probably be talking about an appeal for oversubscription at the majority of Kent grammars unless you were really lucky.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Its not standardised 12+ as per ser but individual schools can test you. I am sure it may not be all schools but some certainly some do like the girls grammars here in my neck of woods. It is of little point doing it for oversubscribed schools and it seems some schools only let you sit the test if they have spaces

http://www2.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 29&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Impossible is Nothing.
jaia

Post by jaia »

Thank you all so much for your replies. It was a post following the day visits to the new schools and the reality of the situation. I have found it almost impossible to get any information about anything from Kent. I really appreciate your time. :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

It's worth posting something on appeals about this to get Etienne's opinion. I don't think it is legal for a school only to assess your child if they have spaces. You should have a right to appeal once a year for whatever school you want, so you need to be .
Billie

Post by Billie »

I wouldn't rule it out.... children do leave selective schools because of moving for parents' jobs etc. My ds is year 8 at Judd and I know at least 2 boys have left his class so far.
I remember last year being told of several boys from outside attending for a test in year 7 to possibly join at the beginning of year 8 - don't know if any got in.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh yes don't rule it out, but do waiting list and appeals every year if necessary. Don't just take no for an answer from the school, apply in full and go through every process that is available. Schools do not want to advertise the fact that you have a right to go on the waiting list and appeal as many do not want to take more, so you have to know your stuff.
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

Billie wrote:I wouldn't rule it out.... children do leave selective schools because of moving for parents' jobs etc. My ds is year 8 at Judd and I know at least 2 boys have left his class so far.
Yes but if they were already over PAN due to appeals, would those boys necessarily be replaced? I think the waiting list would hold until under PAN again.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Strictly speaking they should not be replaced until they are under PAN, but this does not always happen. Apply, go on waiting list, appeal every year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now