Reading aloud

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

menagerie

Reading aloud

Post by menagerie »

We read aloud to the DC most nights, choosing books that they might not necessarily pick up themselves, but which they love. Then they go and read their own stuff in bed at night through choice. But what we never ever get round to is hearing them read aloud to us :oops: .

When do you fit this in? And how many books do they have on the go? Would it be an idea to hear them read aloud from the books they choose or from the books we choose (tougher vocab)? Occasionally they ask to read aloud from the books we read to them, but they get so caught up in trying to put on voices for the characters, it's not exactly focused on clarity and comprehension.

I'm concerned, if we add a third book to the mix every night, it'll all get too confusing.

Any thoughts?
hermanmunster

Re: Reading aloud

Post by hermanmunster »

the only time I ever heard my kids read to me was when they brought reading homework home from school. I think that DCs and us were mighty glad to see the end of that!.

I think organising themselves to read their own books is the best thing they can do - encourage some more and you can sidle off to read you own books elsewhere!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Mine read to me in the kitchen whilst I'm cooking...it's early enough for them to read fluently as I find they are too tired later.At bedtime we all get into my bed whilst I read to them and sometimes I pass the book around , but generally it spoils the flow and anyway, I prefer the sound of my own voice !
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

scarlett wrote:Mine read to me in the kitchen whilst I'm cooking...it's early enough for them to read fluently as I find they are too tired later.At bedtime we all get into my bed whilst I read to them and sometimes I pass the book around , but generally it spoils the flow and anyway, I prefer the sound of my own voice !
Good bit of multitasking that! - the reading while cooking I mean
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

.....typing on here...drinking a glass of wine and opening a tin of dog food with my toes.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I've always thought it doesn't matter what they're reading as long as they're actually doing it!You could have reading days where a set book is read only,maybe yours or theirs and try to enforce the fact that voices don't matter when they're reading to you.

I personally hate having to read to my 8 year old :oops:

I've tried getting her to read after school, as by bed time she's very tired and just wants to sleep.

We try to stick to one book at a time but that book has been misplaced. :lol:
;D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Thingsbehindthesun wrote:
I personally hate having to read to my 8 year old :oops:
probably heretical, but we never read to the kids. :oops: score so far Eng Lit A* Eng Lang A*. Answer is that if everyone enjoys it then do it, otherwise find something else to help them learn.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Scarlett, arf arf. Again. Yes, hate the way them reading aloud disrupts the flow of my storytelling! I love reading aloud to the kids. I'm just not very good at listening to them...
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

We must like the sound of our own voices :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

scarlett wrote:.....typing on here...drinking a glass of wine and opening a tin of dog food with my toes.
Vino - Scarlett, hate to tell you but it is not yet 11am! Dog food - OK but shouldn't you be having something a little more substantial for breakfast?

Sorry OT!