Odd noises, bees and wasps - any ideas please?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rachag

Odd noises, bees and wasps - any ideas please?

Post by rachag »

A few weeks ago, odd ticking / clicking noises started in an upstairs room. The desktop computer is in there and at first I thought it was that. There is a bay window with a bit of a flat roof in that room and after a while bees/wasps(?) were seen coming and going in that area and clicking obviously from flat roof area.
Also have a definite wasps nest about 10 feet away and they are seen coming and going from the eaves (I presume their nest is in the loft which I have never accessed since moving in 10 years ago). I personally do not think that the creatures in the flat roof area are wasps. They fly pretty fast so not easy to get a good look but I think that they are smaller and browner than wasps. OH on the other hand says they are wasps :roll:
I am not bothered by the definite wasps - as I said, we don't go into that loft area ever - but is this clicking ticking business in the flat roof area something that wasps do or could it be some type of carpentry bee that will damage the house? Is it just an urban myth that they break through ceilings and swarm? It is very high and not easy to access - I can imagine the eye rolling and sucking of teeth leading to "it needs scaffolding" if I call someone in.
Any pearls of wisdom please.
(Cos I am so irritated by this question, I now have 4 fully loaded wasps traps just to watch some of the critters die - has proved a great source of entertainment for DC!)
jingle

Re: Odd noises, bees and wasps - any ideas please?

Post by jingle »

My mum had strange noises which seemed to be coming from the ceiling/loft area which turned out to be mice. She was horrified, but apparently not an unusual problem.
rachag

Post by rachag »

These definitely coincided with the wasps/bees and the hole through which they come and go can be seen.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

When we had a wasps nest in the eaves above DDs bedroom, what we heard was a kind of rustling sound - possibly them building their nest? It was a bit unnerving and the girls were convinced the wasps were going to chew their way through into the bedroom! Anyway, we contacted the council who sent someone to sort out the problem. If the sound coincides with the insects flying in or out, it's probably them.
Marylou
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yep you can get the local council pest control to sort it, or failing that a commercial one such as ***tokil. Just had them to blast multiple wasps nests very successfully. The number of live and dead wasps in the house had become annoying so it was time to say goodbye. Don't know about your noises, you need to ask the pest controller. I guess once you've got rid of the wasps you'll know if it's some other problem. The trouble is with leaving the wasps is you can can just get more and more nests, and over time they do end up getting in to your house somehow.
chad

Post by chad »

We had a wasps nest in our porch just recently.... and yes we had ticking noises in the ceiling....all gone when the nice man came out a squirted some stuff into the void.
Mind you..... make sure you get a good price, when I fang round I was quoted between £40 and £120 to get rid of a wasps nest.

Edited.....oooops that'll be rang not fang :oops:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Perhaps it would have been cheaper if you hadn't told them about the fangs. ****kil sounded expensive but then the man did three nests and I'm sure they only debited me for one as when I called up and booked it I only thought I had one (too busy on EPE to walk round the outside of the house), and he had to give them loads of puffs of his poison.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

How freaky...at the bottom of the page are adverts should you need your wasps eradicated...I'm covering up my web camera.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

I have a wasps nest under the roof, having a go at eradicating myself using domestic powder and foam, not sure what best method is to quiet powder upwards? Pipette?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Be careful, no_ball - we had a wasps' nest in the garden that had been built around an old bird box. DH had the idea of spraying it late one night when all the wasps were asleep, thinking that they wouldn't attack at that time. Wrong - suffice it to say that he would have qualified for the Olympic sprinting team. One or two did manage to follow him into the house but fortunately we got them before they did any damage. :roll:
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now