Tutor for 13 plus KES B'ham

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JustaDad

Tutor for 13 plus KES B'ham

Post by JustaDad »

Anybody please pm me a good tutor in Birmingham for my son going for 13 plus exam. I have searched whole of the net, but could not find any body with a definite experience or level of expertise. I am looking for somebody for english, verbal reasoning or maths...... all by one tutor or separately.
Please help, this might be my son's only chance to get to a grammar school.
no_ball

Re: Tutor for 13 plus KES B'ham

Post by no_ball »

Did you mean KECH?
JustaDad

Post by JustaDad »

No. King edward school birmingham.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

That one is not grammar
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Not a GS now - used to be a Direct Grant Grammar school in the good old days.... :?

However it is a selective indie and hence the 13+ exam.

Justadad - is your DS at school locally now? How is he getting on? Are there any teachers there you could ask about tutors? Would any of them be able to help?
JustaDad

Post by JustaDad »

We are outside B'ham and this is where my son is going to a local school, he's doing average at school.
Not much help from local tutors / teachers but B'ham being a larger city with multiple GSs was thinking of getting him a good tuition from there, so that he is well prepared for the exam.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

KES is a pretty competitive academic school and I think few get in at 13, your DS will have to do very well in the exams to get a place - hence I agree with your wish to get him well prepared. Did he try any of the exams at 11 plus time?
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Yea thought so, it used to be a grammar but is now private with sprinkling of bursary and scholarships.
JustaDad

Post by JustaDad »

He missed 11 plus because of not being in UK.
Did get a chance to appear in one exam for an additional seat again at KES, but could not qualify.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

no_ball wrote:Yea thought so, it used to be a grammar but is now private with sprinkling of bursary and scholarships.
Quite a few of the old DGGS became private - others became state schools when the DG funding was removed in 1974.
Many had Grammar in their titles - others didn't (Mancheste Grammar) .
Just to confuse matters there are quite a few schools in Yorkshire (Ilkley, Otley and Harrogate) that have the name grammar but are comprehensives.