Which Test? and correcting mistakes on the answer paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rbeck31

Which Test? and correcting mistakes on the answer paper

Post by rbeck31 »

Hi Everyone

Just discovered this site and already think I'm going to be glued to it as we (if only it was we!) are doing the test in Sept.

I have a couple of questions - apologies if already covered.

Firstly, a basic one - if my DS makes a mistake on the actual question paper, should he cross it out or rub it out?

Secondly, I've been told that if you find out which paper the children are actually sitting (we're in the Tunbridge Wells area) this can help you decide which of the commercial papers to practice beforehand. Has anyone else heard of this? Is it true/possible? How do we find out which paper they are sitting? And then how do we know which of the commercial papers this is most similar to?

Thank you so much
yoyo123

Re: Which Test? and correcting mistakes on the answer paper

Post by yoyo123 »

Kent test is most similar to the GL assessment papers.

These threads may help
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 19&t=16988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =19&t=5076" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rbeck31

Post by rbeck31 »

Hi YoYo
Thank you

I'm a bit confused as to what "Nfer" is - it seems to cover so many different types of paper.

We have been using Bond and a few "Official 11+" - am I right in thinking that GL Assessment is the same as the Official 11+ series?

I've also been told that Bond are harder than the other types of papers - any truth in this do you think?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

NfER used to produce teh papers, now known as GL.

Bond is not really relevant to Kent,
rbeck31

Post by rbeck31 »

oh dear!!

thank you so much - that's really helpful
bulu

Post by bulu »

I'm no expert but I understand that it's very important to train your child to rub out any mistakes on the multiple-choice answer sheets because they are read by a computer. If they just cross out an answer and mark another, the computer will read two answers and mark the question as wrong.

I am assuming they will be provided with pencils and rubbers, rather than have to take their own in.

You sound like you have the correct papers - they are the ones that have 'Created by the OFFICIAL 11+ Test Publishers' on the front, ie GL assessment.

Good luck, it all seems very close now.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

rbeck31 wrote:oh dear!!

thank you so much - that's really helpful
"We" did the Kent test too. Although GL assessment is most like the actual paper, there are not many practice papers for DC to use. What we did was to use the Bond series to get used to different types of questions and hone techniques as well as get used to doing papers within times allowed and then went onto GL papers. Best of luck. Oh, while I remember do send you DC for the practice test. That really helped my DC.
rbeck31

Post by rbeck31 »

Hi Bromley mum

That's really interesting - I think that's essentially what we will end up doing. Yes we did a practice test - my goodness, that was a shot across the bows!!!
rbeck31

Post by rbeck31 »

Bulu, thank you - also helped clarify things. Just when you think you've got it sussed, more queries pop up!! Yes, it does seem so close now. In less than two months it will all be done!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

rebeck31 - Welcome to the site.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now