2nd hand uniform

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bustwinks

2nd hand uniform

Post by bustwinks »

Hello all, We have just been "given" a second school uniform, by a parent who's child is leaving grammer to go to independent...I told the lovely mother that I would give her some money for the uniform...the only problem is I dont know how much to give...she said whatever I think...trouble is I dont know how much to give...I dont want to offend....any ideas please ?

The unifrom includes, blazer, jumper, 5 shirts, hoodie and full p.e kit, which all fits perfectly and in very good condition.

Your advice would be very appriciated :D
Thingsbehindthesun

Re: 2nd hand uniform

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

You could initally find out the real cost of the items and offer atleast 1/2 or more if you want,but I don't think that wouldnecessarily offend.
;D
andyb

Post by andyb »

If the school sells 2nd hand uniform in their shop you could get a price list from the website and price it up. As an indication DS's school sells 2nd hand blazers for £10 (price new £65) but they are really manky as you would expect from teenage boys!
Wirralian

Post by Wirralian »

Most right minded people would not expect payment, or might suggest making a donation to a registered charity of their choice.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

'second school uniform'
Belinda that was meant to say second hand uniform :? No this is a uniform from a girl who has just finished year 7, and has now been given a scholorship at a private school.

Think I will go with half the price of uniform.

Thanks for all your replies.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Belinda....I understand what you are saying, as also the parent of 4 children I have been in the position on several occasions, particularly when my children were small of feeling obligated to pay for someone else's cast offs. I never understood because I never ever sought any of it, but I expect when you have a large family, others think you may struggle to clothe your children. Generally speaking, I said thank you very courteously and sent the contents of the bin bag to the charity shop, and never paying any money at all, often thinking I was the one using the petrol to get the clothes to recycling. Hmmmm

Bustwinks, it sounds slightly different here, but I don't think you should pay half the price of the uniform, as you are doing the mum a favour. She has taken the decision to leave the school and has all the uniform left....give her £20, use the stuff as back up when you lose your lovely new uniform, and don't think any more about it, would be my advice.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Aaagh, now you come to mention it, I didn't realise you were that Belinda :lol:

:lol: One of mine was given a Peter Pan outfit, all lovely and green and tights, and he refused to go anywhere without it for ages......funnily enough you mention it now, and he's forgotten all about it :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now