The Tutors 15 mins test - level 4 - Paper 7

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dams

The Tutors 15 mins test - level 4 - Paper 7

Post by dams »

Hi,

My DD and I are struggling with the following question.

XG is to TC
as EP is to ??

We think the answer is AL, however it is not on the answer sheet. The available answers are KW, VK, UJ, KV and LX.

Could anyone help us?
Thanks,
Sally-Anne

Re: The Tutors 15 mins test - level 4 - Paper 7

Post by Sally-Anne »

It is a horrid little beastie called an inverted mirror code.

XG is to TC - imagine it as follows, where 1 & 2 are the first pair, and 3 & 4 are the second pair:

1 3 is to 4 2

X is the mirror of C
G is the mirror of T

EP is to ??

E is the mirror of V
P is the mirror of K

Using the same formula of 1 3 is to 4 2 the answer is therefore KV.

It has always been my opinion that the Tutors Level 4 papers are quite some way beyond the 11+ test in most, if not all areas.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It has always been my opinion that the Tutors Level 4 papers are quite some way beyond the 11+ test in most, if not all areas
Aha, thanks Sally Anne, I asked that question earlier. My DS is scoring 20/20 in 10 mins on level 3 so thought I would get the level 4 ones but was wondering if they are harder than the real thing (in Bucks).
scary mum
dams

Post by dams »

Many thanks Sally-Anne,

My DD has completed all Level 3 papers and scored very well. She is finding some of the questions on Level 4 papers are too difficult. Not sure on whether to continue with the Level 4 papers or not, as I fear, a series of low score could impact her confidence.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

That's my worry too. Maybe we need level 3.5 :lol: :lol:
scary mum
dams

Post by dams »

Agreed..I think the levels 3 and 4 are vastly different in terms of their difficulty
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

dams wrote:Agreed..I think the levels 3 and 4 are vastly different in terms of their difficulty
I think the author enjoyed the challenge of writing Level 4 very much ... :lol: They are definitely above the level of the Bucks 11+ and GL Assessment tests around the country.

The vocabulary on the Level 3 papers is pretty challenging, so I think they are well worth using for that reason, particularly during the holidays when "little and often" is so important to keep the children fresh and alert.

dams, I would consider Learning Labs or possibly even Walsh in preference to the Level 4 papers, because she is obviously coping well with the vocab. Break each test down into two 25 minute papers. The moment she seems to be demoralised by a poor result, give her an easier paper - the Tutors full length papers on here are good for that. Again, break them down into two halves.

In September you can hit the Susan Daughtrey Bright Sparks and GL Assessment full-length papers.
dams

Post by dams »

Thanks Sally-Anne,

I will get the Learning Labs and Walsh test papers. I am saving the Susan Daughtrey Bright Sparks and GL Assessment full-length papers for the end of summer holidays.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now