Just wondering

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JLT

Just wondering

Post by JLT »

DS taking 11+ this September and I'm not feeling that confident for him at the mo. :( Doing very well in VR and NVR- averaging 75-80 % on both with practice papers, but maths is averaging about 50%. Equating those to percentages needed to pass last year, if he got this on the day would be around 140 in VR and NVR and about 114 in Maths - clearly not enough to pass. In people's opinions are you more likely to get through head teacher or LEA appeal if you have two very high scores and a low one, or do you stand more chance if you have three border line scores. I know it's a hypothetical question, guess just trying to reassure us both!! :? He's really keen to pass just makes such constant careless mistakes with the maths
Chocolatey Mum

Re: Just wondering

Post by Chocolatey Mum »

I'm no expert JLT, but as I understand it the head teacher appeal will depend on the supporting evidence that the head can produce at the HT appeal. They firstly take the English written piece and then I would think that your hyperthetical case will depend on what supporting info the head has on your DC, such as CATS scores optional SATS and work books ect.

We have also found the Maths the more difficult papers of the Three types. As the
time of the test gets closer I lurch between confidence and despair. It really is a rollercoaster!
Keep going and we will all get there in the end. Good luck.
dani*

Post by dani* »

Don't panic, there is still some time to go before the 11+. We got a bit stressed this time last year. I guess that now schools have packed up it starts to sink in that the 11+ is not that far away. I know it is hard being summer hols but keep going and be positive. I don't know where you are but in our area DD said that the maths paper was a lot easier in the real 11+ and finished the paper with 15 min. left, where as at home she only managed to finish just on time. There will be some harder questions in the real paper, but from our experience it would appear that the questions in the real paper are not all of the same level as in the practice papers Also some practice papers will have more questions than the real paper, whilst allowing the same amount of time.

Sorry for going off topic here, but I really think it is a bit too early to start thinking about appeals.

Good luck!
JLT

Post by JLT »

Thanks Dani and CM
DS got 141 in his CAT and 4A sats at end of Y5 and according to his teacher maths comes naturally to him - not doing these papers it doesn't!!! Unfortunately his written work is often barely legible so that could be a huge hurdle with any appeal. Have heard varying reports in Kent that actual papers are harder than NFER practice ones which doesn't help in times of panic!!
I know we've still got a few weeks to go over things with him just wish he'd stop making such careless errors, especially when I point them out and he just says "I can't believe I put that answer"!! :lol:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I've moved this thread to Kent - as you suggested, it may be better located here.
JLT

Post by JLT »

mitasol wrote:I've moved this thread to Kent - as you suggested, it may be better located here.
Thank you - bit new to all this and wasn't quite sure where to post it originally!! :lol:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

especially when I point them out and he just says "I can't believe I put that answer"!!
Try going through it with him and show him what mark he would have got if it hadn't been for those silly mistakes -it may be the difference between pass and fail and he has thrown those marks away.

The tests ( and SATs) like to chuck in sneaky bits every so often e.g you are given info to work out how many objects ARE white, but the question asks how many ARE NOT white. It's surprising how many pupils fall into the trap, especially if they are rushing or overconfident.

The cardinal rule read the question!
shortly followed by check your answers!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

My son did lose marks by not reading the question properly , and it was probably only in the couple of weeks before he started reading the question twice and re checking his answer ....so there is still hope !

The questions are quite sneaky at times as I found the question Yoyo has posted as an example where they are asking how many are not white...they will put on the answer sheet the answer to that which is correct, but also the answer will be there for how many are white...to catch out the children who haven't read the questions properly ! Of course that always was my son :roll: . You just have to keep plugging on and at this point I did have a good bash at his weak spots and in between moan at him about rushing.He has since told me he couldn't be bothered in the run up and knew he would put his all into it on the day.....so I needn't have worried . :evil:
JLT

Post by JLT »

thanks YOYO and Scarlett

Unfortunately most of the time DS does read the question right, just makes ridiculous mistakes with the calculations and because the wrong answer is usually there as a multiple choice option ..............!!! Hoping he will concentrate more in the exam as he is so keen to pass and feel so frustrated when it's only one of the three subjects that really lets him down.

W
JLT wrote:Try going through it with him and show him what mark he would have got if it hadn't been for those silly mistakes -it may be the difference between pass and fail and he has thrown those marks away.
Have been doing this and really stressing that 5/10 probably won't be enough but 6/10 will make all the difference between a pass and a fail - slowly it's sinking in :lol:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

If the wrong answer is on the answer sheet , then it must be a simple, careless mistake that a lot of children must make...so take heart there will probably be others doing the same ! I am having flashbacks now, about my son just doing half the sum ...or finding an area instead of a perimeter...that sort of thing.I did despair at times.Just practice, practice and then all you can do is hope it's all sunk in and that he does his best.Have you tried sitting with him as he works out the questions so you can see how he's working them all out ?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now