Wellington/ Taunton/ Exeter indies

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Naulakha

Wellington/ Taunton/ Exeter indies

Post by Naulakha »

Can anyone share their experience/ views on the following schools:

Wellington school (not college), Queen's College (Taunton), Maynard school (Exeter), Exeter school.

My DD is very bright, loves all sport (though is good rather than amazing) and singing/ drama. She is very enthusiastic about everything she does, and we are looking for a school that will encourage this rather than suppress it. We have attended various open evenings but are finding it difficult to see beneath the glossy presentations- they all sound good! A good academic scholarship would be a bonus...
We are also considering the local grammar, but feel it may be too harsh an envornment for her to really flourish.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
allmuddledup

Re: Wellington/ Taunton/ Exeter indies

Post by allmuddledup »

Have pm you
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Maynard is a fine school. It is all-girls of course, and you need to make your own mind up about that.

In all fairness I won't comment on Exeter School. The Leather lady has coloured my judgement.

Queens and Wellington are both good schools.
Queens is very strong in dyslexia and learning support. The syllabus is GCSE; Latin was dropped a few years ago. The headmaster is an affable northerner. Much money has been spent on facilities for art and drama. It is a Methodist foundation, and still has a slightly non-conformist feel.
Wellington has adopted iGCSE for certain subjects. Latin is offered, and also Ancient Greek. The headmaster is an approachable Oxford man. Much money has been spent on facilities for music and sport. It has a direct-grant school background, and still has a slightly grammar-school feel.

...but don't rely on me :lol: .
Loopy
Naulakha

Post by Naulakha »

Thanks for your comments- but what do you mean by the leather lady?!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now