Type Z - need tips

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loo1965

Type Z - need tips

Post by loo1965 »

Can anyone advise on type Z questions please? DS is getting most of them wrong. He does leave them till last and go back. We have 5 weeks to go!!!!! Any hints or tips to improve this type would be great. Also if anyone knows how many of these type are likely to be in the real thing?? I hope it's only 1 or 2
Thanks
Loo :shock:
Desperado99

Re: Type Z - need tips

Post by Desperado99 »

When he does them, does he do a grid? Generally this is what DD does and it works well.
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

Sometimes he does a grid but mostly not
Can you give me an example of a grid?? He did the IPS practice types
Thanks
Loo
Desperado99

Post by Desperado99 »

I'll give it a go... The following question/explanation is taken from the Bond - How to do 11+ verbal reasoning:

Adam, Daniel, Matthew, Ranjna and Sarah are 10,9,8,7 and 6 years old but not in that order. Who is the youngest?

Sarah is one year younger than Ranjna.
Adam is older than Daniel.
Matthew is two years younger than Ranjna.
Daniel is two years younger than Matthew.

So: Draw a grid showing the names of the children and the age range.
Extract the maximum amount of information from each statement before moving on.
Remember you only need to find the answer to the question - don't get distracted by trying to fill in the whole grid.

Sarah Ranjna Adam Daniel Matthew
age 10
age 9
age 8
age 7
age 6

I've not put in the crosses (as i can't get the grid to work properly) but from the first statement, Sarah is one year younger than Ranjna - Sarah can't be 10 and Ranjna can't be 6, so a cross will go by Sarah/age 10 and Ranjna/age 6. By working through each statement, Daniel is the youngest as he is the only one that doesn't end up with a X in the age 6 row.

Hope this makes sense, The question is pretty complicated but I think it illustrates the process of working it out quite well.

D :)
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

Thanks that is very helpful - he clearly needs to make sure he does a grid each time - I think he try's to do some in his head - especially the ones that don't give a lot of numbers

Thanks again
Loo :)
Alex

Post by Alex »

Generally no more than 2 of the Type Z questions :)

I think though that there is occasionally a shorter logic type question, but can't remember if it is instead of or in addition to the longer type Z question(s).

Only one mark per question so if time is running short it is not worth spending too much time on them.
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

Thanks Alex
:)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now