AFN paper test D

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaneEyre

AFN paper test D

Post by JaneEyre »

May I ask for some help for question 34 in test D?
My DS and I got answer 'c' after considering the direction of the shapes (two to the left and one to the right in each row). However, the answer is 'a' but we dont find the way to get to 'a'! :evil:
Did any other person find this question ambiguous?
Alex

Re: AFN paper test D

Post by Alex »

In the patterns which have two "appendages" (arrowheads, dots or diamonds), the appendages are always on the top and bottom lines, not in the middle. The rest of the patterns I think you have right; the alternating left or right end according to how many "appendages" there are and the total number of "appendages".

Not very good at explaining patterns in words - hope this makes sense...
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Thank you Alex, your comment helpded us to understand a bit more. However, we are still suck!! :( :oops:

Your explanation about the appendages being always at the top and bottom (when there are two of them) permits to eliminate the answers b and d.
On the second row, there are already a box with three appendages so we can also eliminate answer e.
However, how can we choose betwwen answer a and c? It can't be the direction as applying 'two left and one right like in the first and third rows' gives us answer c which is wrong.
How are we supposed to know that in the second row, it has to be 'two right and one left'?

I am afraid I don't see the logic in there :oops: There is certainly something else to consider, but we don't know what :evil:
Alex

Post by Alex »

Ah, I am sorry - I see I was looking at the wrong wrong answer.... :)

For any particular type of "appendage" if it is on the left when there is 1 appendage. they are on the right when there are two, and on the left again when there are 3.

The diamonds are on the left when there is one of them and on the left when there are 3 of them, therefore must be on the right when there are two of them.

For this question it is confusing to look at the positions within the matrix - much simpler just to look at the elements - direction and number - to find the answer.

edited to add: just corrected as I realised I had typed right instead of left..... :oops:
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Yaay!!! Thank you soooooo much Alex!
It's crystal clear now!! :D That was a tricky one! :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now