MGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
monstermum

MGS

Post by monstermum »

Hi,

Bit of a long shot but a quick question! Does anyone know which of the forms are top, middle or bottom at MGS?? After knowing everything about my son's primary school and feeling very unnerved about not knowing which level my son's form is in! :oops:

Tia

MM
hermanmunster

Re: MGS

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi is he just starting at MGS? If he is, most GS don't set forms in the first year so they are all the same.
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

He will be going into Year 7. The forms are set according to how the boys did on a series of literacy tests.......
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Hi MM....We know that the top 2 sets study latin , don't we? ( which isn't my son ) and DS friend who has been there a year seems to know who is in the top/bottom set although whether this is hearsay or fact, I don't know.

I have to say, setting according to literacy tests isn't really streaming as who is to say that someone who isn't great at spelling of writing long essays might be a genius in maths or science .My DS isn't great at writing etc but is a whizz at maths so I will wait and hear how he thinks he compares in ability to his class and I think we hav a parent consultation early on, so you could ask then ? The lady deputy head said in her speech that they are all much of a muchness so really it was just putting the ones together who could write War and Peace at the age of 5 and then the ones like my son who only write 2 lines .( but is still bright.)

I'm more worried about the first day and the parent assembly which I was told verbally about at the induction day. Is there one or not ? If so what time do they start ... do we all go to the hall ? I'm working a nightshift the day before and with sorting out the other 2 I'm feeling stressed !
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

Don't stress Scarlet :D phone the school and ask - there are always office staff there and if they don't know the answer they can get back to you. The teachers will definitely be in on 1st and 2nd of Sept.
kaloosam

Post by kaloosam »

I haven't heard about the assembly. Please let me know when you have found out - I'm working that day and will struggle to get there. I also think DS will cope better making his own way to school that day - lots to focus on and less time to feel worried.

Have got uniform now, doing a trial run of the train journey next week. Oh it's all getting close now ...

About the sets - like Scarlett, my DS struggles more with written work than maths and is excellent at science so no worries about his class here. In fact, I am relieved he is not in one if the top 2 sets because studying 2 languages will be a stretch without Latin as well ! Also pleased the lower classes will be getting more input on their English!
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

I'm not going to the assembly, if there is one - like you kaloosam think it's best for my son if he makes his own way and we start the routine straight away. Not worried at all about which set he is in - he's going to an amazing school and for that feel blessed, but curious about which one he's in. Guess it's the start of getting used to one step removed secondary school :D
kaloosam

Post by kaloosam »

I have heard brilliant reports about the school, the size does concern me a little, however, I guess to put a positive slant on that, my DS is a little quirky and by the laws of averages that must mean there are more quirky boys to choose as friends at MGS :lol:

I agree totally about feeling distanced as parents - it seems almost as much of a culture shock for us as it is for the boys themselves - and I must admit, I don't think I'm adjusting too well at the moment! My DD joins year 5 next year, so I guess I need to throw all my energies into her, to stop worrying about DS!!
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

I have a daughter going into Year 5 too! Started doing bits with her. Then my other son starts primary school in Sept too. I bet before we know it it'll be Christmas and we'll be in full swing :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I think my son would prefer getting on the bus with his friends the first day...just that I will still be at work when he catches the bus and so won't see him off plus I'm slightly worried my DH will still be snoring in bed when I get in at 8 and DS will be watching the tv !

What about the dinner card ? I gave the form with the intial cheque to the school...what happens now ? On their website it says to make further online payments you need to log in with a code and registration number...when do we get these ?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now