How are the parents of next month's examinees feeling?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
overanxious

How are the parents of next month's examinees feeling?

Post by overanxious »

Going through this all again with daughter number 2 :? I was really confident that her big sister would pass - she did, but only just, and so this time I'm feeling really nervous already! I wouldn't mind, but our second choice local comp is fine, she would have loads of mates there and laugh as her sister sets off hours earlier :D but I do worry her confidence will take a knock if she doesn't get in.

Anyway, just wanted to wish all the best to anyone whose child is taking exams in Trafford over the next few months - I'm stockpiling wine and gin already!!
TIDDLYMUM

Re: How are the parents of next month's examinees feeling?

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi OA

Forgot you were doing it all again this year!! I only have the one so its all over for me. I do remember how I felt this time two years ago, though :shock:

I am sure your DD2 will do just as well. Hope DD1 has enjoyed her first year. Can't believe how much my son has grown up ( and that I need to have his blazer sleeves let down already!!).

Its been a bit quiet on here this year, but I still check in regularly :D

Good luck xx
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

Hi TM!

Perhaps it's only me that's worrying this year - everyone else is serenely confident because their children are getting 100% on the pass papers and their tutors are certain they'll get in :lol: My daughter's progress is, um, erratic to say the least. The whole thing is made even more complicated by the fact that her best-friend-since-nursery will be going to the local comp (she is just as bright as my daughter).

Year 7 has flown by hasn't it? I can't believe my daughter will be in yr 8 - she was talking about GCSE options the other day :shock: I've got the hideous experience of school shoe shopping at some point next week - luckily the rest of last year's uniform was so big I don't need to buy anything (although I keep threatening to get a really long skirt!)

Take care.
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Hi OA!
My DS1 is taking exam this November and I'm already getting sleepless nights!!

I can relate to 'erratic' !!!!! He's only getting about 70% on his STRONG subjects and the score for the weak subjects is unmentionable ;-). Everyone keeps going on about this 90% thing on practise papers, just can't see it happening!! I'm just going to pray, really reallllyyyy hard. Lol.
snoopy123

Post by snoopy123 »

New to forum, although was a silent viewer when daughter number 1 went through all this 2 years ago.

Also feeling nervous. Have one daughter at grammar school also. Younger daughter due to do the entrance exams this September. She also has performed a little irratically in practice exams recently. However, there are so many different versions out there that I am trying not to read too much into other children’s high scores :? Or is that just wishful thinking. (will also be doing a lot of praying)
You would think it would be easier second time round but having seen how happy daughter number 1 is, I think I am actually more anxious. Can sympathise with any other parents going through it all.
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Many thanks to overanxious for starting this thread! I just spotted it when I decided to take a break from drinking and worrying about entrance exams to look at this forum. I too am putting a second child through all this with elder one already in grammar school and am finding it much more stressful this time. It might be partly because with one there already, it seems more important to but I think it's more because of incredibly erratic performance. Am really glad there are others out there feeling the same!
Good luck to everyone
Tao x
Grongo04

Post by Grongo04 »

Scary stuff it is!

My DD1 is also doing the exams in September, October.

She is not doing too well to be honest, late 70 percents on all, I just don't think it's enough!

What do you think she should be getting?
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi

What papers are you doing. If doing the NFER GL Nelson whatever they are called and getting lates 70s then I wouldn't be concerned. My son got in the 60's on mock tests with tutor for NVR/Maths on the NFER papers he did in the month before the exam and got an out of area place at AGSB. He was scoring 90 plus on AFN VR which was his strength and higher on 10-11 plus Bond but we didn't even get to 11 plus Bond Books. So don't be despondent :D
Tao

Post by Tao »

Hi all, I concur with Tiddlymum. I think late seventies for all subjects in NFER style tests is good enough. I would be very happy if my child was consistently scoring that! :(
Tao
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now