How to speed up on NVR

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
copella

How to speed up on NVR

Post by copella »

Hi my DS is very slow on NVR, he spends ages on each question, despite me telling him he needs to move on. It can take him 9 mins to complete 12 questions. His marks are also all over the place sometimes in the 90's and the lowest 80% but this is with the extended time. We have until Oct half term for the first Latymer exam. We have completed different types of papers and are now on the GL assessment pack two ones. there seems no pattern as to what he finds difficult, sometimes it is codes, sometimes it is the matrices and at others it is the serial ones. I have explained to him that no matter how good he is at maths and english they will never know if he doesn't speed up, but he then gets upset and I say it doesn't matter (but it does!!!). Any help appreciated. :?
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: How to speed up on NVR

Post by DIY Mum »

Is he the same when you give part of the paper i.e. when you test sections of nvr?

Dd used to 'switch off' during nvr. To identify her weaknesses, it was easier to tackle a section and then work through each question. When the technique is learnt, give another set of similar questions and set a time limit for q.1. Reduce it a little for q3 and again for q5. You want to set a time limit that takes him out of his comfort zone but is achievable.

He will get faster with practice once he's mastered the techniques as he will reach his peak. Doing the test yourself (whilst dc does his) also helps them to speed up. Sometimes, let them 'win'! :wink:

So give it in small doses rather than a whole test. He may have lost interest. My ds peaked a couple of months before the exam and his marks just went downhill despite being taught the techniques and all. Best to lay off them when this happens. :roll:

copella

Post by copella »

Many thanks for your suggestions. We have been doing sections and then going over each one however perhaps the idea of me slowly increasing the time and sitting with him as he completes each question will help. We will keep at it.
vasu

Post by vasu »

Good points DIYMum esp solving the test with the child. I am horrible at NVR and my hubby is too good. So we both can take turns and play"good cop,bad cop"!!!
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now