Algebra - KE Bham paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lia

Algebra - KE Bham paper

Post by lia »

Hi!

New to the forum so apologies if question has already been answered. I want to know what type of alegbra questions come up in the KE grammar exams. Also what level should I take my child too? Examples of the hardest type of question would be very much apprecaiated.

Many Thanks
yoyo123

Re: Algebra - KE Bham paper

Post by yoyo123 »

welcome to the forum.

Sorry I can;t help with the content of the B'Ham exams, but I am sure someone will come along with the answer soon.

In the meantime there is some information about past papers here

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... er-content" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The link to the B/Ham 11+ content is slightly out of date - best to go to the sticky:-http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=14423
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Last year, algebra didn't come up. But it's a good idea to prepare for it, just in case.
This book does help as it contains a similar level & set of questions that appear in the exam. You'll know which questions to use after going through yoyo's link.

I know it's used in y7 at KECHB but when I was looking for decent algebra questions for ds1, I couldn't find much. This was recommended by ds1's maths teacher for algebra: so I used it for ds2.

no_ball

Post by no_ball »

I taught simple algebra to my DS, he told me some questions did appear, maybe for Stratford.

5x+3y=60

If x is 3, what is y type problems..to start with gently
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Yes, you are right... a couple were sneaked into the 'long Maths' section for the 2010 exam but not a whole chunk as it was in the 2008 exam.

The algebra questions won't be really hard, there'll just be lots of them and other types thrown into the mix like quick percentages, fraction ordering etc. Make up 30-40 of them, to do quickly in 10-15 mins.

e.g.

what is value of a if:

* 2.5a + 7.5=12.5 is it [a] 3 2 [c] 4 [d] 1 [e] 5

* a/5 + 2=7 is it....(multi-choice) etc

or if a is 0.25, what is 2-4a? Is it....?

or which is the largest? 8/13, 10/14, 9/12, 8/9, 1/2

or largest out of 4/11, 3/8, 0.31, 1/3

what is the value of y? 12.5% of 30= y of 10

Good luck!
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Still tough for a 10th old based on no teaching at primary school. I suppose the few marks gained with these questions could differentiate between those get in and those that don't into grammar school for instance
DIY Mum

Post by DIY Mum »

And when it's presented at the end (as in paper 2) after a taxing paper 1 of 45 mins; kids are bound to make careless mistakes or run out of steam!!

no_ball

Post by no_ball »

indeed, it is these things that make the difference. Gentle coaching in the last few days does wonders as not to leave out any question and in the last 30 secs just randomly circle. No negative marking I think.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Hi

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with the comparative fractions: which one is largest etc? I have had to take a crash course on maths this year, but this has got me stumped - I know it is sometimes obvious when the fractions can be reduced or they are all just over half, but what about the others? Any tips would be gratefully received.

Also, I notice that the quick maths section was dropped last year. They have done it in the past and brought it back the following year, but with the new organisation of the 2 papers I wonder how they would be able to reintroduce it without going back to mixing up the papers again. Any thoughts?

Regards,
UnSusu
UmSusu
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

When DS did exam last year there was no advance notice as to make up of papers and weighting of results. It's only afterwards we learnt of the weighting of marks.

I have a method for competitive fractions, will post later
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now