A Level Results for Herts and Barnet Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

A Level Results for Herts and Barnet Schools

Post by Daogroupie »

Any views on the latest exam results? HBS top again, beating London Collegiate which must be very satisfying for Oliver Blonde. DG
SteveDH

Re: A Level Results for Herts and Barnet Schools

Post by SteveDH »

where did you see the results as the only ones I can find just have state schools.
thanks
steve
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

Nlcs results on their own website. I guess that an A* is the equivalent of an A from our days, though ;-)
herty

Post by herty »

I was very pleased with WGGS results - 22nd. Very good for a partially selective school. Listed incorrectly as a grammar school on the Telegraph website (maybe confused by the name?), unlike say, DAO, which was correctly listed as semi selective.

HBS' results reinforced my satisfaction with my decision not to get my DD to apply there, despite it being my old school - I personally feel results where 98.46% of A Levels are at A*, A or B must put girls under such pressure to perform well - if you get a C it's not just an average mark, it's letting the entire school down.

Too much pressure. But right for some, maybe. Just not what I would have wanted personally.
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

I think it was a particularly strong Yr13. I'd be surprised if they do so (relatively) well next year.
herty

Post by herty »

HBS has been coming top of the league tables almost every year since they started, though - the year after I left! We had no idea the school was so good, relatively! - we were most surprised! It was a more innocent age...

It was good, in that there was less pressure. It's hard for kids these days - too much pressure to compare themselves to everyone else, from 11+ up. SATs, etc etc. I wish we had no league tables to be honest - too much pressure and too much tendency for teachers to teach to the test.
decaff

Post by decaff »

The list of A level results published in the Times placing WGSS at 22nd last week, does not list all schools. It relies on schools passing on their results to be published. Many schools are not listed. Therefore place listings as a whole will not be accurate. However there are still some very good results for Herts schools.
herty

Post by herty »

Would a school that came in top 50 not choose to show off about this? Doubtful about that?

As you say, the Herts schools did v well relative to national results - we're fortunate having a good choice.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

herty wrote:Would a school that came in top 50 not choose to show off about this? Doubtful about that?
There are quite a few which are but they choose not to. It actually seems that some really top schools are opting out. I don't remember seeing HABS on that lists so are schools like Westminster and St Pauls. Its not just them but a few others and I know of a local state school here which does well, probably not in top 50 but its not in these tables. It was the same last year for this school but it appeared in later tables. The tables with all schools are published quite later in the year.
Impossible is Nothing.
Papadontpreach

Post by Papadontpreach »

Last Friday The Times published a list of the best performing state and independent schools in the country by A level results. Both St Paul's and Habs were conspicuous by their absence. HBS was no.1, North London Collegiate was no.2 and Westminster was no.3