Embarassing Your Teenage Children

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snowdrops

Embarassing Your Teenage Children

Post by Snowdrops »

Following on from a comment made by Scarlett on the 'Short Skirts' thread,re: showing her bra strap and her son getting upset about it, brought to mind a comment made by my dd just the other day.

We were discussing the fact that her father and I were going out that evening (a rare occurrence, I can tell you!) and she enquired where we were going. I said: 'Oh, we're off to see The Inbetweeners at the pictures'. Well, you could hear a pin drop. Her face was a picture as she uttered the immortal words: 'Mum, have you EVER seen The Inbetweeners? You DO know what it's about don't you'? I responded: 'Why, yes, of course we've seen it, we've watched it all on telly, we do know what it's about you know. We know all about the birds and the bees, surprisingly' She then said, 'Oh lord, I won't be able to watch that now I know you two like it'

Retelling my OH later as we walked to the pictures, we laughed and hobbled down the street with our walking sticks, bent backs and grey hair, wondering what it was the youth of today had found out about life and s e x that us old codgers hadn't :lol: :lol:

Go on, tell us your diamond moments between you and the kids!
scarlett

Re: Embarassing Your Teenage Children

Post by scarlett »

Following on from the bra strap incidents, DS1 is also mortified at my beach/swimming attire. I'm not talking about triangle bikinis..rather a skirtini and top , which I think is quite respectable but he hissed at me that I was showing too much flesh ...well, yes I did rather fancy a sun tan whilst on holiday .....and then last week whilst I was rummaging around in that section, he held up a severe black swimming costume and told me I should really start wearing one of these. Soon, he'll be suggesting a large brown sack.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Another sure-fire way to embarrass this is to give them a baby or toddler sibling to push around in a buggy. You can see the look on their face veering between "I hope no-one thinks this is mine" to "I hope no-one realises this means that these two old codgers must have had s e x to produce this thing"
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

mystery wrote:Another sure-fire way to embarrass this is to give them a baby or toddler sibling to push around in a buggy. You can see the look on their face veering between "I hope no-one thinks this is mine"
That is a definite thing! I can recall being around 12 and holding my sister in a local swimming pool and being asked if she was my daughter. :lol:
;D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Now my children would love a baby to push around and ask me on a daily basis when I can produce my next one ...they would be most suited to post war Britain when they could have 10 siblings and all take it in turns to push the youngest around in a delapidated perambulator.
vasu

Post by vasu »

I must be 15 years old, visiting my grandma, rummaging through my mum's old stuff. Till came across a really small skirt more like a band. I asked my nan if it was mine when I was little. She laughted and told me, it belonged to my mum when she was in Uni :oops: :oops: :oops: Never looked at my mum the same way again. But, to be honest, I never thought my mum was cool. The discovery of her little red mini made me see her in a completely new light!!!!
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I breathe ........................ :lol: :lol: :lol:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

vasu wrote: But, to be honest, I never thought my mum was cool. The discovery of her little red mini made me see her in a completely new light!!!!

When I look at pictures of my Mum or remember how she wouldn't let me wear make up etc I find it really strange that she would have been the same age or younger then I am now and I always feel she was more embarrassing and uncool then I am now with my children.Or maybe that was the 70's for you !
marigold

Post by marigold »

My Mother was, and still is, as square as it is possible to be , but we shared the school run with a Mum who embraced the late sixties/early seventies wholeheartedly. I can remember to this day the appalled hush in the playground when she arrived to pick me and my sister up with her own daughters wearing pink denim hot pants and bright blue eyeshadow.
Horrifying rather than cool.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yep, sometimes square is cool ............ or less embarrassing to a teenager as at least they think you are acting your age (ancient). We walked past an Age Concern meeting at the Leisure Centre the other day and my daughter (not yet teenage by a long chalk so I have worse to come) asked why her swimming teacher (who is younger than me) wasn't at it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now