Maidstone boys/oakwood

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

guestP

Maidstone boys/oakwood

Post by guestP »

I have heard that these two schools are massively oversubscribed and that those from surrounding villages who traditionally have gained a place have not got in this year. Does anyone know if this is true? Has anyone got in yet from the waiting list and why has this happened this year?
Peter

Post by Peter »

I am sure this one has been answered on other lines, but yes MGS is massively oversubscribed, there are a reported 88 appeals, and a good number of these have already passed the tests. Oakwood is certainly full, but there will be considerable movement before their appeals in June.

This has not happened before. As to why:
1) More boys than girls passed the eleven plus tests in Kent (this has also created problems elsewhere in the county);
2) There is always oversubscription in West Kent and there is spill over into Maidstone which apears greater this year.
3) Anyone's guess. There are certainly no empty grammar schools in neighbouring towns.

Neither Invicta Girls or MGGS are full. In recent years one or other has been oversubscribed. Gravesend Girls has advertised for students in the local press, Gravesend Boys is nearly full. Simon Langton Boys in Canterbury is heavily oversubscribed for the first time, whilst Langton Girls has spaces.

Post by Guest »

Peter, do you know if Wilmington Boys is full?
Guestp

Post by Guestp »

Peter, thanks for your reply. If these schools are massively oversubscribed under what circumstances can the schools be forced to take more pupils? From what you say about the number of appeals Maidstone boys would need to increase its number of classes on intake. What is the chance of this? I have a son taking the 11+ next year and am concerned that whereas in previous years there would have been no problem getting in to one of the grammars, this year it would seem we would have been left with no grammar option as we live in one of the villages well outside Maidstone although still in catchment.
A Mum

Post by A Mum »

Any ideas as to why more boys than girls have passed this year? is it just a case of there being more boys than girls in the county's year 6?
Peter

Post by Peter »

A number of questions; tentative answers as follows.

Wilmington Boys has vacancies.

No one can force MGS to take an additional class, except the Independent Appeal Panel after it has heard all the evidence at the appeals. My information, hearsay and not confirmed, is that neither KCC nor MGS are likely to oppose an additional 30 children. You are unlikely to get this confirmed at present, as government legislation bans planned grammar school expansion.

There were more boys than girls passed last year as well. There is a theory, with no factual evidence I have seen, that it is to do with the maths exam. As all parents will know, most primary schools focus all their efforts in year Six on SATs Key Stage 2. These are of direct importance to the school's perceived success. Girls respond best to such coaching which is not necessarily supportive of 11 plus assessment in maths! Certainly my experience is that girls who have been unsuccessful have generally come unstuck with the maths exam. Don't ask me to defend the theory, but feel free to come up with another.

Post by Guest »

Thanks Peter. Very glad to hear that Wilmington Boys has places. Does this mean that, like my son, every boy going to appeal there has failed the 11+ (otherwise they would have been offered a waiting list place)? Any idea how many places free/appeals being held?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Don't know numbers yet, but "quite a few". Yes, all children who have passed the Kent test and have applied will have been offered places. This is likely to include some Maidstone and West Kent overflow who may well relinquish those places if they are offered their first choice.

In this sort of way, there is continual flow of places with most children who are close to a pass finding a place somewhere.
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

[quote Any ideas as to why more boys than girls have passed this year? is it just a case of there being more boys than girls in the county's year 6?

Hi A mum

We were told by a headteacher at a boys school open day, that Year 6, this year, is boy top heavy. That may be the reason for the oversubscription problem.

jenny :D
jc mum

more boys yhan girls?

Post by jc mum »

thats interesting as in our area the girls far out number the boys... in our year 6 there are 20 girls to 10 boys. 24 took 11+ and 20 passed, 15 are girls......

maybe diff areas have diff split....

mind you for the first time in several years the girls grammar is oversubscribed
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now