odd 2 out question

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
zippy202

odd 2 out question

Post by zippy202 »

not our strong point this, so forgive us if its obvious. We have been running through the English type q's on a number of practise papers - and noticed these two question on 2 different papers

PARE PEEL SHAVE RIND PEAR

correct answer RIND PEAR

then on a different paper

PEEL AREA RIND ACNE SKIN

correct answer

AREA ACNE

Please can someone explain
Marylou

Re: odd 2 out question

Post by Marylou »

We have trouble with these as well, particularly as DS not too hot on spelling!
zippy202 wrote:
PARE PEEL SHAVE RIND PEAR

correct answer RIND PEAR

then on a different paper

PEEL AREA RIND ACNE SKIN

correct answer

AREA ACNE

Please can someone explain

Pare, peel and shave are all verbs that mean taking the surface off something, so rind and pear are the odd ones out (rind and peel as nouns do indeed mean the same thing, but there isn't another noun to make up the group of three)

Skin, peel and rind are all nouns that mean an outer surface, so the other words are the "odd ones out".

The two "odd" words don't have to mean the same as one another, though they do sometimes. These questions often include homophones e.g. pear/pare. Personally I don't think many 10-year-olds would know what "pare" means, unless they've specifically learned it as a homophone of pear and pair.
Marylou
zippy202

Post by zippy202 »

Marylou - thankyou.

wow thats hard!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

They can be quite hard. The general consensus in our house is that this is the most difficult of the 21 types, apart possibly for the Type K bracket maths ones, which those of us of a less mathematical inclination :wink: often find difficult. I deliberately left these two types until last when teaching them to my son and his friend as I think they are the hardest to grasp.

We have adopted some strategies to help DS cope when encountering words he doesn't know. The instinctive reaction in this question type when confronted with one or more unknown words is to take a wild guess. However, even if there are unfamiliar words it's still possible to narrow down the possible correct answers based on what you do know. So in your first example, if PARE is the only word you don't know, you need to look for words that mean the same as one another among the remaining words, remembering that the same word can often mean a verb or a noun (e.g. peel). You get PEEL/RIND, and PEEL/SHAVE. PEAR doesn't go with anything and so this is probably one of the two "odd" words you are looking for. You then have to guess whether PARE is more likely to mean the same as PEEL/RIND, or PEEL/SHAVE. The second "odd" word will depend on this choice, but the chance of a correct answer has increased to 50:50. In the second example, the child might not know what ACNE means (oh the joys!) but since PEEL, RIND and SKIN all have something in common, then it's fairly safe to assume that ACNE and AREA are the odd ones out.

All great in theory, of course - the technique needs a bit of practice though. DS has found that having a strategy helps avoid the feeling of panic, and guessing is of course still available as a last resort!
Marylou
zippy202

Post by zippy202 »

thanks - thats really useful.

Maths type questions are less of a problem fortunatly! - the trouble is its much harder to take an educated guess. Some of the bracket questions that you mention are really hard, we get them eventually (sadly i see them as a challange) but sometimes after we BOTH stare at them for 15 minutes, clearly in the exam he would have to guess!
patricia

Post by patricia »

zippy202 wrote:
we get them eventually (sadly i see them as a challange) but sometimes after we BOTH stare at them for 15 minutes, clearly in the exam he would have to guess!
Staring not allowed. Imediately start making notes, write down possibilities starting with obvious calculations, follows a copy from an old post of mine. There are some 3 stage calculations creeping in, I will post a technique for those when I have a bit more time.

Bracket Maths

Middle number has been made using the numbers either side.
Same rule must apply for all 3 sets.
Sometimes 1 operation. Sometimes 2.

Second operation can be:

1] + − x ÷ the same number.
2] doubling/halving
3] + − x ÷ the number on the left or right of the middle number.

If the number in the middle is bigger than the 2 either side then your 1st operation is probably adding or multiplying.

If the number in the middle is smaller than at least one of the numbers either side, then your 1st operation is probably subtracting or dividing.

If after using the 2 obvious operations the rule does not work for the second set do not panic; just start using the other 2 operations.

Patricia
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

patricia wrote:Staring not allowed.
Think I might have this typed in large letters, lamenated and stuck on the wall next to DD - along with No Daydreaming, No Fidgeting, No Fiddling... in fact "NO TIME WASTING OF ANY KIND ALLOWED" :D
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Just tried PARE/PEEL/SHAVE/RIND/PEAR on DS. Turns out we were wrong all along - SHAVE and RIND are the odd ones out as all the others begin with P..... :roll:

I thought I'd try this one out on DS to see how he would tackle it. I was right to assume that he wouldn't know the meaning of PARE. After his initial jesting reply he spotted a link between SHAVE and PEEL but decided that this couldn't be right as shave means take the hair off and peel means take the skin off. Fair comment, I suppose, but his tendency to overcomplicate things and take them to a further level does cause him problems with questions like this.
Marylou
zippy202

Post by zippy202 »

Petricia - thankyou.

DS and I are pretty good with numbers, but spelling is very weak (dyslexia) so we need virtually full marks on these to have a chance. The bracket question we were doing was a Square root type which we had not seen before. I like to solve the tough ones and turn it into a race so we can try to remember for next time - the odd one of these type are a total pig and I think if yo are good on numbers generally, then they can really suck you in and waste time!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Patricia, ditto the "thank you" for the Type K tips! :) DS does sometimes get bogged down and lose heart, but fortunately doesn't seem to have too many problems with Type K...I'm the one who sometimes find myself puzzling over them for some time, though!

Zippy - have you asked for extra time for the test? I'm sure I've read about it on here somewhere or other. Re square numbers/roots - I have to keep reminding DS about these. Also look out for cubed numbers, which have caught us out before (1x1x1, 2x2x2, etc.)
Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now