Only 2 weeks to go!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jetster

Only 2 weeks to go!!!

Post by Jetster »

Oh my word!! Let the panicking commence with added humph!!

I am really keen on ds to pass, but not necessarily for him to get into the grammar school as I haven't quite decided whether it is the best option for him. He is bright but not the brightest, so would he be better off being at the top of the comprehensive, or near the lower end of the grammar. If he passes, then we have a choice and that is what I am really after.

He is in the top set but things don't come as natural to him as it seems to do for others.

I know he has it in him to pass the 11+ but it will really depend on him putting in maximum effort for the next couple of weeks to keep the question types fresh in his mind and to speed him up a little (he's still not completing all of the practice test papers).

What do you all have planned for the next 2 weeks leading up to the VR paper?
LoobyLoo

Re: Only 2 weeks to go!!!

Post by LoobyLoo »

Morning. Nerve wracking time for the kids, parents and siblings all round! We're just coming to the end of having two whole weeks off aything 11+ to clear heads, relieve the stress and concentrate on all the kids together (we have a four year old too). We've done nothing but play lego, go to the park and bake cakes (not good for the waist line!!). From next week, we're going to do a practice paper on Monday then whilst he settles into a new teacher/school year, we'll just do some ten min tests in the evenings. Then the week after, running up to that first exam, we'll do a few ten min tests, a couple of papers mid week, and then just ten min tests to keep momentum going same again for NVR the week after. After a lot of soul searching this last month, I've come to the conclusion that if he doesn't pass with a good grade then maybe he would be better off at the local comp. If he's not good enough now, then perhaps grammer isn't right for him. That said, we're trying for Kings too and I will be overjoyed if he gets in with a good score. Good luck.
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

We've also got a four year old as well so it's a busy time all around!!!!
We are just doing a paper every few days for the next couple of weeks and that's it - we too are Kings!!!
We don't have a local comp that we would in any imagination be happy with so for us it's all or nothing :shock:
LoobyLoo

Post by LoobyLoo »

Are you out of county Loo? We are! Our catchment comp is a definite no-go but there are a couple of options if need be. I'd just be much happier him having to spend time travelling to school and us shelling out a bus fare for a grammer school education! Ah the joys of being a parent. I wonder what options there will be when its our four year olds turns?!
:D
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

No we are in county - we would have to consider independent if not grammar but probably not an option!!!

Maybe the eleven plus will not be around in another 6 years :mrgreen:
Desperado99

Post by Desperado99 »

Jetster wrote:Oh my word!! Let the panicking commence with added humph!!

I am really keen on ds to pass, but not necessarily for him to get into the grammar school as I haven't quite decided whether it is the best option for him. He is bright but not the brightest, so would he be better off being at the top of the comprehensive, or near the lower end of the grammar. If he passes, then we have a choice and that is what I am really after.

He is in the top set but things don't come as natural to him as it seems to do for others.

I know he has it in him to pass the 11+ but it will really depend on him putting in maximum effort for the next couple of weeks to keep the question types fresh in his mind and to speed him up a little (he's still not completing all of the practice test papers).

What do you all have planned for the next 2 weeks leading up to the VR paper?
Cor... You've just described my DD :)

We're just concentrating on the GL assessment papers from now on. Although I think we will probably do sections rather than full papers as she seems to concentrate better that way (and as she's back at school on monday, a full paper in the evening may do her more harm than good). She's still not finishing the VR paper in the time allowed but hey-ho, what can you do :wink:

I think we're resigned to the fact that she may well not pass, even though we think she would do perfectly well at grammar school. As you say, if she goes to the comp she will be certainly towards the top of the class rather than just one of the crowd at the grammar. All she can do is put the effort in (which she has) and try her best. When it comes down to it, I am very proud of the effort she has put in over the summer hols, she obviously has the right work ethic :D. I'll be glad when September is over and we can get our lives back.

Good Luck everyone :D
Jetster

Post by Jetster »

I have 3 other children, my son who will be sitting the 11+ is my eldest, so this is all new territory for us. Our others are 8, 4 & 3 so it has been hard to do much towards the 11+.

Desperado, I agree with you in that I'm just proud of my son putting in the effort when it's been asked of him.

Good luck to everyone xx
lec

Post by lec »

GOOD LUCK!...To you and your children.
Ds starts Year 8 tomorrow and is getting the bus for the first time[eek].He goes to King's as he loved it when he looked around[as did we]Carre's is nearer though!
He is end of August born and had just moved to UK from Ireland before he sat 11+.
It will soon be over but just wanted to say I remember how it feels..
GOOD LUCK ALL.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now