Algebra?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Stmichaelsfan

Algebra?

Post by Stmichaelsfan »

My DD's year 6 teacher made a comment at open day last term that algebra questions were only included in some exams in order for the schools to identify the children who have been tutored. Has anyone heard this sort of thing before? And if so, would a child be penalised if the school suspects this? My dd also heard the comment and I think it is the reason why seems so hesitant to get to grips with algebra. I've told her to get over this but i cant help wondering if there is any truth to this, and why would she say such a thing if it isnt..? Sorry if this is a bit garbled.... Just thought its probably safer to ask someone ( other than the class teacher)
JLT

Re: Algebra?

Post by JLT »

Hi, all the bond books and NFER papers we have looked at have included algebra, I think including them in an exam not only shows the kids that have been tutored, but also those who have parents who have tried to help them be as prepared as possible for an exam. All the time examining boards include questions on subjects children haven't learnt yet, parents are naturally going to help explain what they mean. My son scored 141 in maths in the CAT test, in top stream in his class and has struggled with 11+ maths papers as there are areas that have either not been touched on at school or are explained in such a way that bear little resemblance to the question style in the paper :?
Stmichaelsfan

Post by Stmichaelsfan »

JLT wrote:Hi, all the bond books and NFER papers we have looked at have included algebra, I think including them in an exam not only shows the kids that have been tutored, but also those who have parents who have tried to help them be as prepared as possible for an exam. :?
JLT, thanks! I hadnt thought of it like that. I'm gping to show response to my dd also so she can clear her mind about "knowing too much algebra" Wishing your DS the very best in the 11+
Thanks again ***
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

My DS confirms algebra harder than that in bond book came up for the brumie exam. what region are you in?
Stmichaelsfan

Post by Stmichaelsfan »

Hi no-ball

We're in herts inc lb barnet
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think the teacher's comment is very suspect ... I cannot think that the algebra questions are used for that purpose.

Probably trying to put you off - and possibly anti 11+ :shock:
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Agreed. If I listened to 1% teaching staff told us in DS final year, well, god help us :lol: