Too many exams

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Stmichaelsfan

Too many exams

Post by Stmichaelsfan »

Hi everyone,

I really love this forum and i apologise if i've been asking too many questions lately, been lurking since my dd was in year 4 and now the exams are almost upon us i'm surprised that i still have so many queries. Thanks to 2girlsmum, DaoGroupie, Daofan and all the parents for sharing all this info and also patiently answering my questions :)

Lately I've had a niggling feeling that I could be stressing too much over these exams. The current plan is for dd to take HBS exams ( in 2 parts), Watford/Parmiters, North London consortium 1&2, St Michael's and Habsgirls exams. 7 exams in all from November to January.

We live out of catchment for all the selective/semi selective except Parmiters and DD doesnt want a mixed school. She's a bright girl, but i am trying to make sure we are not caught out with no school or end up with local comprehensive which is really really not good.

Is everyone taking as many exams or is this too much pressure on dd as a result of my own fear
laretta

Re: Too many exams

Post by laretta »

Hi Stmichaelsfan

I feel for you, I too am stressed to the max! I know I think about the 11+ far to much, but we too have an awful local comprehensive (mixed) and I will not send DD there. If she does not pass, we will downsize in order to send her private.
Seven exams is quite a lot, but they are spread out over a considerable period. I am sure you know your DD well enough to know that it won't all be too much for her. Have you asked her how she feels about it? I like to think of it as not putting all your eggs in one basket - it therefore actually takes a little pressure off her as it is not all riding on the one exam. My DD is sitting three and I wouldn't think twice of trying for more ( if she was ok with it) if there were any other schools within a reasonable proximity.

Good luck!
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

To be honest we will be in the same boat in around 2 years with DD2 who will also be sitting seven exams for 6 independent schools and one grammar by the time she gets to year 6. Although that does sound like alot but 3 will use the same group 2 consortium test and pass the result around.

Where you child will spend the next seven years will have an impact on who they turn out to be,if we had a brilliant school nearby we too wouldn't consider going down the independent route but I think it would be better to try then to continuiously wonder "what if" if we didn't do anything.It may be tough now but will pay off in the end.
;D
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Hi again Stmichaelsfan,

We did some mocks prior to the tests, and I presume that your dd is sitting some of these tests as a form of mock exam for the real thing since you are out of catchment?

Are the important exams (presumably North London consortium 1&2 and Habsgirls) after at least some of the others? I think that there are two points to make about sitting numerous exams. One: if your dd feels an exam has gone badly it could impact on any other test being sat quickly afterwards (either making her despondent or determined), and two: there are lots of viruses around during the 11+ exam period and the stress of sitting exams can cause children to become run-down/sick.

My dd was ill in the afternoon session at St Michael's test with a headache which heralded the start of a chest infection.She missed out the last 10 questions in her VR exam. We were all devastated by it and despite knowing that she would have done very well in the NVR and Maths and OK in English were afraid it had lost her a place (it hadn't :D ). She was ill over the weekend and so in the end we delayed the second round of the Latymer test for a week after obtaining a doctor's certificate and antibiotics. One of her friends was also ill with the same virus and they were both less than perfect when they sat the Latymer test, though both did well. I suppose the point is that a decent gap between exams would be desirable, or the most important ones to came later.

BTW we spent some of the time that week working through Habs Boys maths tests (the closest to Latymer ones) which are available on their website as downloadable papers. They also have free English papers which were very good. If the Habs Girls exam is similar it's worth going through them, as they have a 'house style'.

Good luck!
Last edited by 2Girlsmum on Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stmichaelsfan

Post by Stmichaelsfan »

Thanks parents! Good feeling to see we're not the only ones taking a few exams, yes its far better to have many baskets. I did ask my daughter about dropping some, "what if i dont get into the others??!" was her horrified reply. So i guess thats my answer :D
Last edited by Stmichaelsfan on Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stmichaelsfan

Post by Stmichaelsfan »

Hi 2girlsmum,

Thanks for reply- I missed your post as i was posting at the same time.

Illness ( for dd or myself or the little one ) around the exams is one of my dreaded fears so i can really sympathise with what must have gone through! Glad it didnt stop her getting through, you seem to have handled it very well to ensure it didnt. I pray if we are hit by illness around then i will be as organised...

There's a week in between the first lot of exams , then nothing in december till January and there's a week in between the exams then as well. Although i am yet to find out when St Michael's exams will hold.

It all kicks off with HBS so not exactly a mock... I hadnt thought about the effect of one exam on the others, but with dd that would more likely get her to focus more
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

St Michael's Open Day is on the 6th October, and the Entrance tests are on the 24th November. DD started on Friday :D and we have a (full) calendar of dates! .........now if only I could bring myself to buy THE COAT :lol:
um

Post by um »

Yes I agree about the viruses, without meaning to make anyone paranoid. ds1 sat the exam during swine flu season - plus I had a newborn at that time too. During his first exam he says he couldnt hear properly due to the kid coughing behind him...he came down with swine flu the week after. It was like the plague - we all dropped like flies and baby was very very ill. He got better just in time for the 'big' exam (which he passed) but I do worry...

But being at school in a classroom has risks too...maybe I am paranoid!
Last edited by um on Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stmichaelsfan

Post by Stmichaelsfan »

Thanks for the st michaels dates 2girlsmum. Their exams are about 5 days after watford/parmiters exams then
Stmichaelsfan

Post by Stmichaelsfan »

Wishing your dd every success in her new school 2girlsmum!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now