time for NVR exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JLT

time for NVR exam

Post by JLT »

Have just looked on KCC website and seen it only states 40 mins for NVR paper! Always been under the impression it was 50 mins - DS not managing all the questions in 50 mins, has no chance if it's only 40!! Does anyone know if they can start answering the real questions in the initial time they are given for the practice questions? :? :? :? :? :?
Chocolatey Mum

Re: TIME FOR NVR EXAM

Post by Chocolatey Mum »

I suppose he could so long as he doesn't have to turn the page.!!!
I've discussed this with my DD but she doesn't want to get into trouble if she is caught so it is unlikely she will take advantage .
Chocolatey Mum

Post by Chocolatey Mum »

Sorry I forgot to say the timing is 9 minutes for 18 questions in each section of which there are 4 sections.

Hope this helps
JLT

Post by JLT »

thanks - if they're told not to turn the page I know there's no way DS would go against this - not that I'd want him to. There can't be many children who finish the NVR page with only 30 seconds a question - no wonder the pass mark is only about 50%!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I remember last year it was 30 seconds per question ( 99% certain) but I hadn't really prepped my son into doing it in sections and then not being able to go back. Luckily when he scored 40 % in a practice paper at school where he missed loads of questions we had...ooh 24 hours to address it and I'm sure he was told just put anything for the practice questions as the real ones are on the same page...so just start thinking about them .If they run out of time just make sure they know to tick the boxes as that might be a couple of correct answers.

Having said that my DS said he missed out on lots of questions, but he still scored 140.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

JLT wrote:Does anyone know if they can start answering the real questions in the initial time they are given for the practice questions? :? :? :? :? :?
Last year they were on separate pages according to my DD as I had told her about the "trick". I dont know if this is 100% correct but that is how she saw it and I think under exam conditions its a little nerve wrecking for them to remember doing something diff to what the invigilator is saying.

As scarlett say you dont need to finish all the questions. My DD never had problems with completing any papers. She would finish ALL her papers and with a few more minutes to spare in most cases (and boast at home how fast she was and had 10minutes to spare) but she wasnt succesful. Being fast sometimes mean they can miss some key bits particularly in NVR so it isnt always a good thing to complete the paper in time.
Impossible is Nothing.
mystery

Post by mystery »

NVR - if it is organised in small sections with a time limit, and you can't go back to the previous section, this will really help children with time management. I should think this is why they have organised the paper that way. Otherwise, the paper would not be testing a child's ability over the full paper, but how good their exam technique is - i.e. their ability to guess and move on quickly when they are not certain of an answer

With NVR you either see the right answer pretty quickly, or you don't. It's not like Verbal Reasoning where you need time to do codes, interpret the question etc, and it's not like maths where you need time to read the interpret the question and do the arithmetic.

Don't worry about the total time. As Scarlett says you can "miss out" (or hopefully put in a guessed multichoice answer) a good chunk and still get 140. Remember pass raw scores are round about 50% and top score of 140 is round about 75% and above. So time on the NVR is not such an issue as it might seem to you at the minute.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

My son said some he knew straight away, which he did first and then concentrated on the others.He told me he had left 6 out which I think means about 10 and his raw score was 53 out of 72 or 74 % and did still get 140.So, all is not lost ! I didn't really go over the timings with him either just made sure he was solid in how to crack them.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now