Personal Statements

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
alliswell

Personal Statements

Post by alliswell »

My DS has started writing his personal statement for his University. He plans to apply to some of the Russell Group Universities and wishes to do Electrical/ Electronic Engineering. I was informed that his personal statement is as important as his grades. Is this right? His extra curricular interest has not been that great! I am confused about what to encourage him to write other. :?
Guest55

Re: Personal Statements

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.studential.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has examples - it's only about one third interestes/extra curricular.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Hi Guest55 is it regarded as acceptable to use their editing and critique service? Could you be penalised if the University you are applying to suspect?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Most schools check, double check and triple check personal statements :lol:

As the people on this website don't know your child I would be slightly cautious. They could inadvertently suggest a phrase that 'alerts' the UCAS software to possible plagiarism. It may also end up sounding nothing like their usual style of writing ...

I encouraged my DC to start a first draft - "Just write a few sentences" ... A bit later I asked "How did you get on?"

I'll give you one guess as to what was written on the piece of paper .... :lol:
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

:lol:

Thank you Guest55. I think you are right, my instincts tell me to steer clear. My eldest DS submitted his first draft to his form tutor (who just happens to be an excellent English teacher) before the summer holidays - poor guy going through all those PSs during his holidays. I will get him to have a look at some of the sample Personal Statements on the website you recommended. I do think it is a bit of a nightmare for them. I wouldn't know where to start! :)
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Other sources of general advice:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Wr ... _Statement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/h ... ttoinclude" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Susan

Post by Susan »

You might also want to take a listen to this recent programme on Radio 4. I happened to listen to it and it was fascinating. It still seems to be available via listen again/iplayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013fmcn
Imogen Stubbs investigates how to write a personal statement, choosing as her case study one of the most competitive subjects at university: law. She asks 2 experts to re-write a personal statement she's cobbled together from examples on the internet: The director of 6th form in a top state school and a former top judge both do their best. But which one will convince the admissions tutor?
The results are a little dispiriting which is why it's worth listening to.
Susan
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KB

Post by KB »

The main focus of the PS needs to be the course - why he wants to do it & why he would be good at it.
Extra-curricular should be tied in to that wherever possible - if its not subject related then to demonstrate time-management, problem-solving, abilty to persevere in tough times.
Being able to demonstrate interest in the subject beyond standard A level requirements is critical.

Contrary to common beliefs they don't really care if you are going to make a contribution to the rugby team or the orchestra - unless its at scholarship level.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now