CRGS 1st day homework.......WOW!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chanceinnorfolk

CRGS 1st day homework.......WOW!!

Post by chanceinnorfolk »

This is a wake up call for all the nervous kids starting their first day at senior school.
Last edited by chanceinnorfolk on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minesatea

Re: CRGS 1st day homework.......WOW!!

Post by Minesatea »

They set this every year. My son found it the worst piece of homework he was set all year. I think it is the RSS departments way of assessing their writing skills.

CRGS is pretty full on with homework for the first term, I think to try to instil some organisational skills into the boys. It seems to lessen after that.
crgsmum

Post by crgsmum »

Are we talking about the "Did man make god or did god make man" essay.

It seems quite funny now but we had a very sad little boy that first weekend. That said, it turned out to be good. We got him to write down everything he could think of for each argument on two sheets of paper. Then asked him to order his thoughts, write his opening para and conclusion and then fill it all in between. Very happy boy who came home when it had been marked.

It set the tone for homework and was fine.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

My DS will be set this essay today, but had heard of it from another boy. He laughed and asked could he write 'Man created God' 100 times?

:roll: It's going to be a long year.
crgsmum

Post by crgsmum »

This is not at all how it will be for rest of year. I think the homework burden is probably not as heavy as at some schools. One of the things which was passed by the school council last year was that homework could no longer be set for submission the following day. This means that anything tricky can be given the time it needs with no stress.

This really is a right of passage piece of work that is not at all reflective of what is to come. I know it seems daunting now but looking back the saturday mornings spent on latin translations and sunday afternoons writing summaries of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" were harder and most of the time the homework didn't seem too bad at all. I figure I'll be ready to resit my 'O' Levels by the end of year 9 though!
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

crgsmum wrote:This is not at all how it will be for rest of year. I think the homework burden is probably not as heavy as at some schools. One of the things which was passed by the school council last year was that homework could no longer be set for submission the following day. This means that anything tricky can be given the time it needs with no stress.
Does this apply to all of the year groups as my DS is in Year 8 and has been given homework today which, he says, must be handed in by tomorrow (Friday)? It wouldn't be so bad if this was the only piece of homework he has, but it isn't. We haven't been told anything about the school council and any further information on deadlines for homework would be appreciated.
doods

Post by doods »

Unless he's not telling me the whole truth ( maybe his writing skills have been assessed poorly.... :roll: ) my son still hasn't received his "God" creation - 'scuse the pun, back again !
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

Back on homework set for next day, my DS is definitely of the opinion that the school council had it agreed last year that they couldn't be expected to complete homework for next day. He only seems to get it this way from French teacher though.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

DS was given French homework Wed that was due in next day. He also hasn't received his 'God' essay back, but I imagine there was a lot of good (by which I mean hilarious) reading in these and that they'll be handed back after they've been passed around the staffroom! :lol:
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

I sent an email to my son's form tutor asking about homework deadlines and was told this week that work being set for the following day should not persist and to let them know if it happens again. We too have only had this happen with French lessons. Thought this was all sorted but then DS arrives home from school very late on Wednesday (having stayed on for rugby) to tell me that he has only that evening to revise for an 'end of unit French test'! Not really sure what exactly is going on here now but, needless to say, have sent another email to form tutor advising him of this and await the outcome.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now