unanswered questions

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bumblebee

unanswered questions

Post by bumblebee »

I am sure that I have read somewhere (on this forum) that in the event of having a number of questions unanswered with only a minute left that the child should fill in a 'guess' for each remaining answer and that instead of chosing randomly they should chose all a's or all b's etc (or 1's 2's etc) as they are statistically more likely to accidently get some correct than the random method.

Can someone point me to where I read this as my husband says its nonsense. :roll:
Belinda

Re: unanswered questions

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

bumblebee wrote:in the event of having a number of questions unanswered with only a minute left that the child should fill in a 'guess' for each remaining answer and that instead of chosing randomly they should chose all a's or all b's etc
Sadly we did an experiment :oops: DC you have one minute to answer ten questions, trial one all E and trial two random. You will be amazed and disappointed as the DC freezes trying to do random answers, even going back and amending them as they are not random enough. :shock:

Best bet is not to have questions left. 8)
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

I also think it could backfire offering this advice to certain personality types. I can imagine the less motivated of my DC deciding that he couldn't do a question (ie the answer didn't jump up at him) and just circling D, because if there is a get out clause, he'll take it. Whereas, without such a tip he'd try and work it out and have a very high chance of getting it right, once his mind was set to it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now