Transport from Chelmsford to CRGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rinette

Transport from Chelmsford to CRGS

Post by Rinette »

With the choice of schools approaching, I find it really hard to measure the daily impact of the potential journeys to GSs...
I have noticed that there is a bus (525) doing Chelmsford-CRGS but it is not very convenient for us as we are based in Chelmsford, Galleywood side.
Is there other transport alternative ?
There is very regular trains from Chelmsford to Colchester but, from a quick search on this forum, it does not seem to be an option favoured by parents ?
Thanks for your help !
XCRGSMUM

Re: Transport from Chelmsford to CRGS

Post by XCRGSMUM »

Most of the boys seem to hate the walk from North Station to CRGS, with good reason. It is along busy roads, up and down hills and not at all pleasant in the dark wet cold winter weather. The walk from town station is not so bad but its still not a nice walk through busy traffic and/or underpasses and I would not have wanted mine to do either in yr 7. They did do it from town station a few times in older yr groups, mainly the 6th form, but mostly in the warmer seasons.

Many parents have to drive their sons to and fro where buses pick up for CRGS, particularly in the younger yr groups. We left home with ours at 7.25 am (lol sometimes a bit later ensuring a mad dash!) and collected them from the bus stop around 4.30 4.45 depending on traffic. I also collected them in the car from after school clubs in yr 7 and also yr 8 in the dark winter months.
Rinette

Post by Rinette »

OK. Thank you, that is helpful and make my choices simplier as it is now one GS that I can cross out: the logistic will just be impossible to sustain on the long-term with work and family commitments.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Whilst I agree that the Colchester Grammar schools are not really walkable from Colchester station, there is a very good bus service from the station to the schools which is used by alot of children. My older two DC's both use the first buses 65 service to get to school and they say the busiest pick up stop is the one outside the station. Obviously alot of these children are travelling from Suffolk, Clacton etc but both my DC's have friends who come from south essex this way. I am not saying it is ideal but it is possible.
doods

Post by doods »

Our son picks up the consortium bus from Parkway in Chelmsford. It is the highlight of his day - he just loves it. He was desperate to go to CRGS in favour of the local option.

We didn't know whether to over ride him as logistically it is a drag...particularly as we work and have two younger children. Very pleased we didn't, his intuition was correct and CRGS suits him really, really well. ..whether he still loved the bus in year 11 remains to be seen...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now