interview techniques

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

monar

interview techniques

Post by monar »

my daughter and son are appearing for interviews for the 11+ south london independent schools. Any tips ? what are usual qustions asked
thanks
mim

Re: interview techniques

Post by mim »

IME they'll do best to relax and be themselves. Children have a way of impressing which is far more effective than any 'tips' they get from well-meaning adults.

Schools look for potential and teachability, especially creativity and social cohesion. By interview stage they've already got through the academics. Now they want to meet the person.

Best of luck.
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Hi Monar. If my DD gets through the academic papers in December for the indep school we have applied to, she'll also have to have an interview in January. I've asked her (state) primary school for help in preparing her for the interview, as it's the first time she will have done anything like this. I agree that mostly the school will want simply to meet the child, but I also think that giving her some preparation can't hinder.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

Most kids need some prepping. I mean, how many kids have an answer for 'why do you want to come to this particular school?'

Of course the child should be him/her self but it does no harm to have prepared answers for the stock questions like what do you like to do in your spare time? what do you like to read? who is your favourite author?

Your child doesn't have to say he/she reads Plato or Dickens but it does help if the child can talk intelligently about what he/she does read and why they enjoy that particular author.

But there are some questions that you can't prepare your kids for. Mine was asked to come up with a motto for the school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now