General Bucks preparation advice ...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kittymum

General Bucks preparation advice ...

Post by kittymum »

Hi

I'm after some general advice regarding getting my son ready for the 11+.

My ds (my oldest child) has just started in year 4 and I have booked him a tutor which will start next October (when he is in year 5). I think he is on schedule - he got 3a's in his year 3 SATS, with the exception of Reading which was a 4. They did VR / NVR tests at the start of year 3 and he got 129 and 125 respectively which I think aren't too bad.

I'm just wondering what we should be doing during year 4 to give him the best possible chance. We've never really done anything at home other then normal school homework but I conscious of the fact I want to give him the best possible chance (without going over the top).

Any advice gratefully received - part of me still feels very :? :( about the fact that I'll be sending my little boy to a tutor for 2 hours a week AND making him do additional homework but I guess that's just how it works.

thanks
scary mum

Re: General Bucks preparation advice ...

Post by scary mum »

My advice (and I'm no expert :lol: ) would be to read, read, read! Also tables (although it's verbal reasoning!).
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

This advice is general, but it certainly applies to Bucks as well:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/prepar ... r-3-year-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

Agree very much with Scary Mum - think reading is v. important and consequently exposure to a wide vocab.

Personally wouldn't worry too much about doing much else in Y4 (other than the required homework)
Y

Post by Y »

kittymum wrote:Hi

Any advice gratefully received - part of me still feels very :? :( about the fact that I'll be sending my little boy to a tutor for 2 hours a week AND making him do additional homework but I guess that's just how it works.

thanks
Just wondering - is the 2 hours specifically 11+? That's quite a lot if there's going to be homework as well. Do you know what the tutor will be doing in those lessons?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now