What is LEA obliged to offer a child who passes 11+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mother

What is LEA obliged to offer a child who passes 11+

Post by mother »

We are considering putting daughter in for 11+ in future. We live in Sussex, so would have to be "out of area". The only grammar we can apply to is highly selective, but there are other less selective grammars which are closer. Do we gamble and try for highly selective school, or move house into Kent to ensure place at less selective grammar if she passes.

I was recently told, that even if she passes exam and isn't offered place at highly selective grammar, that the LEA have an obligation to find her a grammar school place as she has passed exam. Does anyone know more about this? The problem is, there are some grammar schools miles away which could be offered to us which would be physically impossible to get to. I have heard that one girl nearby was offered a place at the less selective grammar even though she had applied for the highly selective grammar as an out of area child. We have been advised that child is capable, but it is a big gamble to go for highly selective school. Any thoughts much appreciated.
mother

what is lea obliged to offer child who passes 11+

Post by mother »

I have managed to contact relevant LEA and they are not obliged to offer place if child passes. Schools work through their own criteria for admissions. Will now have to consider application as out of area and take gamble. Thank you in advance to anyone who was considering a reply!

Post by Guest »

It's a really sad situation that even if you're child passes the 11+ that there is still a possibility that they may not end up in a Grammar School.

We are in this boat now :?

Footymad.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now