Head Teacher Appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
adamjames2

Head Teacher Appeal

Post by adamjames2 »

Hi
Was wondering if anyone had some insight into head teacher appeals...My son is currently at 5c level in maths and reading (comprehension) and a 4a in writing,he is an extremely bright boy and deep down I have every faith he will do well on his 11 plus,however should the worst happen and he did not qualify who or what sort of child would the head appeal for.I understand that a head has to appeal if a child fails to a certain limit of missed points (7 points or less I hear) but I was also told that heads will appeal for certain children of certain levels no matter what they fail by.
Any insight/knowledge of this procedure appreciated.
Finally good luck to all your children taking the test this week...
dottie1974

Re: Head Teacher Appeal

Post by dottie1974 »

Hi adamjames2

As far as I am aware there is no set level the child has to be working at, or be within a certain limit of missed points. I don't think a Head 'has' to appeal for any child, regardless whether they miss the cut off point by 1 point or 20 points, it is entirely at their discretion. At a Head Teacher review, as I understand it, the Head has to do a statement supporting the child and provide evidence that the child produces work that are of a suitable standard to be able to cope within a grammar school. It is at the Head Teacher review that the writing piece of the Kent Test is assessed.

Fingers crossed your dc does not need the review. Good luck to your dc this week.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I have to agree with Dottie. The head at DS's school supported DS but not his friend, who scored a couple of points higher although both failed the KT. Her 'reason' to the other boys parents was she believed the test result was the correct outcome, but she told me that my DS had significantly underperformed in her opinion. The friend was within 7 points (just exceeding the overall score) so no idea where that 'rule' comes from???

The HT review for my DS was rejected, as many are, but I was able to secure a place on appeal. Don't worry about it, am sure DC will be fine :D
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

T12ACY wrote: The friend was within 7 points (just exceeding the overall score) so no idea where that 'rule' comes from??? D

Hi everyone !
I can shed a bit of light on this (I think!!) .....the 7 point 'rule' is a guideline from kent county councils 11plus department as a guideline to ht's in the area. It is not just that though...there is a a4 list of 'guidelines' and things to take into consideration when they decide which case(s) to refer :? Hope this helps x
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

My son was sucessful during a HT appeal. He missed NVR by one point but this was always his strongest subject. The school had evidence of such with high NFER scores from year 3/4/5 which 'proved' he underperfomed on the day.
The written piece was also looked at obviously, luckily this also was a strong point of his. His books from year 5 were taken to the appeal.
I think at this stage they genuinely look at the overall picture...our HT certainly gave us this inpression afterwards by saying 'he is a grammar school boy..!'
We were lucky, but this is the madness of a test taken on two days when if they have an off day it can change everything. :(
mystery

Post by mystery »

I think that close to the Kent 11+ you could ask the teacher / head if the head would take your child's case through the Kent headteacher's review process if your child fails.

All is not lost if they say they would not. It isn't an appeal as such, it's a behind the scenes process which converts some children's fail into a pass before the results come out.

You still have the right to go through the normal parental appeal process once the results are out, and I don't think the fact that the head would not support a review matters that much if your case is strong.