Duke of Edinburgh etc in Sixth Form

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nigs

Duke of Edinburgh etc in Sixth Form

Post by nigs »

My DD's new sixth form is encouraging the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme. Considering that sixth formers need to hit the ground running from their first day, I was wondering if it would be too much and too late for her to start the Gold award now - Expeditions and all.

For a year now she has been a member of St John's Ambulance, had two weeks' work experience at a GP surgery, works in a charity shop for 3 hours on a Saturday (all of which will go towards her Gold Award) and she is also looking for a part time paid job - just a few hours a week.

Sixth form seems to come with - expenses!!!. £430 for each DoE Expedition of which there will be two - another in Year 13. We have also had to pay £270 for her upcoming Geography trip. Not sure what will come for her other 3 subjects. :roll:

Do you think that these activities will take up her time studying? She is hoping to go the Medicine route at Uni (not necessarily Sutton Trust types) and I am wondering if she would be best placed to continue with just St John's Ambulance and the children's charity with some more work experience at a GP surgery or hospital and leave out Duke of Edinburgh? What have your DC had to do? :?
Belinda

Re: Duke of Edinburgh etc in Sixth Form

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The work experience and top grades are FAR more important - ignore D of E .... it is not as important as some schools like to say :D
nigs

Post by nigs »

Thank you both Belinda and Guest 55.

My thoughts exactly. Will now pass the message on to OH and DD (who will be disappointed because she was really looking forward to the challenge - not to worry, I am sure there will be other challenges for her down the line though :) ).

I guess the lesson is if you want to take the DofE, start early to get your Gold early.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now