Son distracted by 2 children crying in test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
adamjames2

Son distracted by 2 children crying in test

Post by adamjames2 »

My son today completed his non-verbal and verbal exam,he feels it went well but pointed out to me that on both tests 2 children had meltdowns and were crying..he said teachers attempted to comfort them but were allowed to remain in the room where the crying continued for up to 10 minutes,my son said it was very distracting.
Of course I feel for the children involved but also for the 20 or so children who were distracted...would this type of situation be noted and on record somewhere in case of an appeal...surely this cannot be overlooked by the teachers/examiner.

thanks
Etienne

Re: Son distracted by 2 children crying in test

Post by Etienne »

I'm afraid various disturbances (e.g. coughing, crying, noise from outside) during the 11+ are all too common, and may not carry huge weight at appeal unless the panel accepts just how significant they were. The panel will also need to take into account how close to a qualifying score the appellant was, and whether all the alternative academic evidence suggests that a qualifying score could reasonably have been expected.
would this type of situation be noted and on record somewhere in case of an appeal
It should be noted by the invigilator - but worth contacting the school to check (1) whether it was, (2) how long they say it went on for, (3) how loud/serious they say the disturbance was.
Etienne
adamjames2

Post by adamjames2 »

Well my son says it went on with one child for about 10 minutes,the child was saying things like "I know i'm clever,if I don't pass no-one will"...between sniffs and sobs...and then things like "most will only pass on appeal"...A real case of copying what the mother says at home I think but sorry,in my opinion she should have been removed..
Blue Peter

Post by Blue Peter »

The same thing happened in my DC's VR test today. It was going so well until a child started crying and then ran in and out of the room. It was really distracting for my DC and he totally lost his focus. I don't know what you can do.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

adamjames2 wrote:sorry,in my opinion she should have been removed..
I don't necessarily disagree - just trying to explain how an appeal panel might approach this, and what you should do.

I sat through too many appeals where the school's perception of what happened was significantly different from the child's. (Not saying this applies here - I wasn't there, so am in no position to judge.)

Well worth checking with the school now, while events are still fresh in the mind. Might also be worth asking other parents to see what they know. (If all the parents are saying "It was completely unacceptable.....", the school - and the LA - will have to take note!)

An appeal panel is more likely to view a disturbance as significant if it led to numerous complaints at the time (not when an appeal is imminent! :))

If you think the school handled this badly, it's another good reason for talking to them.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now