So...a few days in....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

muminTewkes

So...a few days in....

Post by muminTewkes »

...and how are all your DC's????
exhausted?elated?too much to do/places to be and too little time?

DS1 is on his first proper week at Pates now and is walking 10 feet tall but with a bit of a yawn..... :wink:

Ive already put a block on the singing at the Accrington Pals performance Thursday night,mainly because he is so busy that night with karate and scouts but also because...10pm??????at school till 10pm???ummmmm.No.

Other than that-all is amazingly well with his world :) ..and the rest of you????
shaann

Re: So...a few days in....

Post by shaann »

Really pleased its all going well for you and your ds. Dd has settled in at Ribston too. Yes so much to do too and so much to remember !!!
livviloo

Post by livviloo »

so far:

lost lunch box
lost colour map
lost password for online learning area
lost self

but:

getting to and fro on bus no problems (not lost ticket)
coping with buying stuff to eat and drink (not lost money)
met and getting on with lots of people (not lost friends)
is keen to do all his homework (very rarely had at last school-at least not that we heard about at home :wink: )
is getting amazingly organised at packing school bag

and is loving it. For the first time ever, and I mean ever, he has said he not only likes school but loves it. Even things he doesn't like much like singing and rugby (I even caught him practicing his singing exercises but shh don't tell anyone)
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Ds1 has lost his flask and also the booklet of information from english about the next 2 years. :shock: :evil:
He is however loving his time at school so far and missed it on the weekend!
We have even made it to the bus stop with time to spare every day so far....
He is planning on finding out about climbing club next.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Ah thats all lovely to hear!
Ive put a ban on climbing club as what with everything else I feel he needs one night off!!!

Now,a question for you all(and those that have been here and done that) DS1 is loving it-really loving it(much the same as liviloo said-he feels at last he "fits")the bus/walk etc are no issue,he's made friends and all is good...BUT he is putting himself under SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much pressure(a fault of his anyway)and feels hes not "good enough" and seems to be trying too hard to prove himself.
Its making him anxious and a bit tearful(and also the tiredness is kicking in i guess)

Of course we've told him to just be him...just do what he does and he'll be fine.He's naturally bright(as are most of them!)and Ive no worries he wont "cope"but he seems to somehow be striving to prove he should be there?no clue as to why.

Is this normal?I know it is for him...hes VERY tough on himself(gutted if he doesnt get x% blah blah)Im hoping once he chills into it and does a piece of work hes happy with and gets some praise he'll then just gain his confidence and be who he is and run with it.

Any pearls of wisdom?
Sorry bit of a ramble but its bothering me a bit.

Ill see how it goes and email his tutor if Im worried.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I think you should pm Emerald E as I seem to remember her saying something similar about her ds at the spring fair. Her ds gave a talk at the parents evening so I am sure that it will pass. I think that the school want you to contact them :shock: if you have any concerns so don't be too concerned, I am sure that they have seen and heard most of this before.
Although ds1 seems to have settled in ok, I am still waiting for it to go horribly wrong(past experience)an am on tenterhooks waiting for his tears. I think that some of the dc's are very confident and quick to come forward and my fear is/was that my ds would feel less than he is because of this yet he is 'acting' confident(at least in front of me)! Perhaps this may be what has happened to your ds.
Pm me if you want to chat or get together. Sending hugs to you all.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
livviloo

Post by livviloo »

If it's any reassurance we too had tears about 1 hour after I posted on monday! He was just back from scouts and was tired and he was sobbing. I haven't really got to the bottom of it other than I think it was a mixture of excitement that he loved school, having made some great friends, feeling he was coping with many of the challenges but feeling overwhelmed by what may or may not be expected of him by the school or himself(not sure which) and just plain exhaustion. He is asleep most nights by 8.15(always been a night owl) and I have to drag him out of bed in the morning(used to be up at 5.30). It feels like reception all over again but with enthusiasm :D
I am sure things will settle.
Despite the tears, tiredness and frustrations over being painfully slow doing his homework(mainly due to his perfectionism cf my ' just write anything and get it done, who cares?' attitude) I have truly never seen him happier.
Last edited by livviloo on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

DD2 at SHS was very tired for the first week, though we suspect that had more to do with walking up the steep hill coming home. On the Friday we picked her up from school (had to make a speedy departure for a weekend in Kent) and she was fine - in fact, went into verbose mode for the whole journey :-( Luckily the M25 was smooth-running.

This week she's fine.
Capers
Sabanna

Post by Sabanna »

The only problem so far is the tiredness - we had tears one day last week but she did have things on after school as well.

We've agreed that she can skip some of her after school activities for the first week or so until she has settled in and then start them back up to see how she gets on.

Other than that though I think she is coping very well, especially as she is not a morning child she is coping and getting up at 5.45 without being a bear with a sore head :)
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

DD having a great time at SHS - not too tired but homework doesn't start until next week :D

I asked her what the best things were about school and she reckoned being allowed to do what you like at lunch and break and knowing which lessons you were doing and when. Worst thing apparently is vegetables :?

She also thinks the library is fab and is getting through a book approx. every 3 days. Think that might have to stop when the homework arrives, though. :D

Only disaster has been DD's padlock jamming on the second day and the caretaker having to cut it off her locker while I went out and spent nearly £10 on a new one. :evil: