Anybody sitting the Colyton test in November 2011?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nearly there

Anybody sitting the Colyton test in November 2011?

Post by nearly there »

Hi- its very quiet on the Devon forum but I was wondering if anyone else counting down to this year's test fancies dropping in to say Hello? There must be someone out there....

I have a DD who will be taking the test (along with half her class).
mitasol

Re: Anybody sitting the Colyton test in November 2011?

Post by mitasol »

Hi Nearly there,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to see that nobody has turned up yet. If you get fed up of waiting for the locals, then just join in anywhere - I'm sure you'll be welcomed. Good luck with the test. :D
nearly there

Post by nearly there »

Thanks Mitasol!

My DH glazes over now if I mention the word "11+" so I think I'll be a regular visitor here instead :wink: .

I have a bit of a concern about the 11+ arrangements. The management of 400+ cars around the single-track roads surrounding the school is usually organised very efficiently but apparently the council budget cuts this year mean that the police will not direct 11+ traffic or close the roads to other traffic around the school. Instead the school plans to bus the children in from various meeting points. I have to say that I'm not keen on this as my DD, who isn't that confident anyway, will probably be nervous enough without having the added stress of sitting on a bus by herself with children she doesn't know who may be nervous/ noisy/ leaping about/ crying etc.

Does anyone else have experience of this type of arrangement?
Storm

Post by Storm »

Thought I'd pop in to say hello as I'm in the same county! Although I'm afraid I'm not looking at Colyton as we're in Torbay. And will be taking the test in 2012, not this year as my DS is in Yr5. Unfortunatly the Devon section tends to be very quiet. I don't know why - I went to an open evening at the grammar school last week and it was packed, so are loads of us 11+ parents out there! Good luck to your DD for November!
nearly there

Post by nearly there »

Hi Storm- good to hear I'm not alone in Devon after all!

I think that the Torbay grammars have pretty similar 11+ tests to Colyton- Maths, VR and English. It seems like the fairest way of assessing children I suppose but I wish they only did VR as in some counties. The Colyton test is all 3 papers in one morning- my biggest concern is that DD will simply decide it's far too much effort halfway through and put her pencil down in protest.

The head said at the open day that next year's 11+ will change but that he can't say more until the new admissions code(?) is published. Has Torquay said anything about changing anything? Wouldn't it be great if they managed to find a completely fair, painless way of assessing DCs true abilities, as easy as measuring their height or weight.

At least you have plenty of time if your DS is only Yr 5. Are you going to DIY or find a tutor?
WH1

Post by WH1 »

Hi

My DD is sitting for Colyton in Nov 2011, having already been through the process once (successfully), I can honestly say that I am much calmer this time around!

I am concerned about the comments about transport on the day?? I have not heard anything about this - when my DD sat I don't recall police being present - that's not to say they weren't as it is a blur.

The one way system was well run, the drop off went very smoothly. On both occassions, the car door was opened by Mr Evans (Head Teacher), and my dd was whisked away in a very efficient manner.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Torbay is English, Maths and VR and is done over two weekends and includes 2 VR papers. The highest VR mark is the one they use, so good news if they totally mess up one paper! I am DIYing - hopefully he'll put in the work for me! My biggest concern is that DS will get over confident and make silly mistakes - he's capable of doing very complicated Maths and then making a mistake on 2 + 2 :D

When we looked round the school the head didn't say anything about the 11+ changing, but I'll keep an eye on the admissions policy just in case!
nearly there

Post by nearly there »

Storm- I know what you mean about the maths- frustrating isn't it?!

WH- the head made these comments about travel arrangements at the open day last week- I hope they have second thoughts and come up with a better solution before the day- I wonder if parents/ students could direct traffic instead? I suppose we won't know for sure until we get the details nearer the time.

Glad to hear you're calmer this time round. I vary now its getting closer but I'm determined not to let the whole secondary transfer thing overshadoiw DD's last year at primary- it should be carefree and fun for her (before she really has to grow up at high school... :( )
nearly there

Post by nearly there »

I am working through the GL assessment practice papers with DD, but on the front page it says that they should be completed in 50 minutes (too fast for DD to complete!).

I'm sure at the open day the head said that they would have 60 minutes instead of 50- can anyone confirm this? Has this definitely happened in previous years?
devondarling

Post by devondarling »

Would be interested to know how the transport thing goes as I have a DC that will sit in 2012
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now