RGS or John Hampden

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
misspiggy

RGS or John Hampden

Post by misspiggy »

Good morning all,
I'm hoping for some enlightenment from those of you who can help me. Both RGS and JH are within catchment. RGS is very close, JH is exactly 3 miles away (entitled to a free school bus?)

I like JH as I believe my son would be happy at JH due to hearing good comments about their pastoral care, but the thought of driving up Marlow Hill every morning and being stuck in that traffic puts me off.RGS is soo convenient as it would be walking distance for him.

Both schools are demanding, both schools have good results (RGS I think have better results than JH).

I'm just soooo confused :? , not really sure what to do. Niether do I know what advice I'm really hoping for by posting on this board. I just want my DS to be happy and feel settled wherever he goes and I just want to make the right decision. Is anyone in the same boat? can anyone tell me anything negative or positive about either of these 2 schools? My DS is not really into sports. very shy, finds it difficult to make new friends.

If I put JH as my first choice and RGS as my second, will I necessarily get my 1st choice given that RGS is actually closer?

If he does'nt get the results on the 11+ then I guess all of this won't matter, but I'm hopeful.

Any advice, any thoughts would be greatly welcomed.
scary mum

Re: RGS or John Hampden

Post by scary mum »

I don't know either school, but if you are only 3 miles from JHGS and put it first, that is what you would be given, even if there is another school closer. That's assuming that JHGS doesn't suddenly become so popular that you have to live on the doorstep to get in. This year is was "all offered", the year before it went out a lot further than 3 miles (the stats are somewhere on here).
scary mum
misspiggy

Post by misspiggy »

Thanks for responding scarymum, thats good to know. Now it's just a case of which to put first and hopefully never having the feeling of regret :?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Have you been to see them both? If so I would go with your gut instinct. You are lucky, we have no catchment boys school, only mixed (which is fine, but it would be nice to feel we have the choice!!).
scary mum
andyb

Post by andyb »

You might like to read my comments on the "RGS or DCGS" thread. We had to choose between RGS and JHGS, we are in catchment for both, we are just under 3 miles from both! We opted for RGS and DS1 is very happy there. DS2 hopes to go there next year (fingers crossed).

The pastoral care at RGS is superb. There is a firm but fair approach and the boys are encouraged to seek help when they need it whether it be academic or personal. DS1 had some issues during Y8 and his form tutor, head of year and subject teachers all worked together to get things back on track. They then passed on all the information to his new form teacher and head of year just in case the same issues look like recurring. I can't fault them :D .

However, only you and your DS know what will suit him. Perhaps you should phone both schools and ask for another look round. Seeing the school during a normal day can be much more enlightening than the open evenings.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Although I don't believe transport should be the main thing on which to base a decision about a school, as you mention it I thought I'd better point out that unless you are over 3 miles away your DS won't be entitled to bus transport (so you may find yourself driving up Marlow Hill anyway) plus bear in mind that BCC are trying to introduce that you pay for the transport if you are over 3 miles away and chose a catchment school that is not your closest one.
Both RGS and JH are excellent schools (DS and DS best friend at one and the other). I would say go on matching child's personality. RGS probably more competitive on a daily basis between pupils than JH.
Mrs C
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

My DS goes to JHGS (just gone into Year 8 ), he has Aspergers and I was advised that JHGS was the school I needed to get him into for the pastoral care and support, luckily it was our catchment school. We have been extremely happy with the school and their pastoral care and support is excellent. We have an extremely happy child and that is what's important.

Hope this helps
misspiggy

Post by misspiggy »

scary mum wrote:Have you been to see them both? If so I would go with your gut instinct. You are lucky, we have no catchment boys school, only mixed (which is fine, but it would be nice to feel we have the choice!!).
Thanks scarymum. I have so far been to see RGS but yet to go to JH. I do feel grateful for having the choice, but at the moment I just feel a little anxious in case I make the wrong decision, especially so as I'm not originally from Bucks myself but a different part of the country so have no background personal knowledge (through friends/family) about any of the schools here.
I guess my question on this forum was a little premature and I really should've waited until my visit to JH to see what my gut instinct said.
I appreciate your time in responding.
Many thanks
misspiggy

Post by misspiggy »

andyb wrote:You might like to read my comments on the "RGS or DCGS" thread. We had to choose between RGS and JHGS, we are in catchment for both, we are just under 3 miles from both! We opted for RGS and DS1 is very happy there. DS2 hopes to go there next year (fingers crossed).

The pastoral care at RGS is superb. There is a firm but fair approach and the boys are encouraged to seek help when they need it whether it be academic or personal. DS1 had some issues during Y8 and his form tutor, head of year and subject teachers all worked together to get things back on track. They then passed on all the information to his new form teacher and head of year just in case the same issues look like recurring. I can't fault them :D .

However, only you and your DS know what will suit him. Perhaps you should phone both schools and ask for another look round. Seeing the school during a normal day can be much more enlightening than the open evenings.
Thanks Andyb, I'll have a look at that previous post. I had no idea I could request a visit other than those open evening details we've all been sent, I'll most definitely consider it. Thank you
misspiggy

Post by misspiggy »

Thank you MrsChubbs and Morning Glory, you've told me what I believed from the start, which is that as much as they're both good schools, my DS due to his personality would probably find JH a better suited school. It's not just the drive to the school as I would do anything to ensure my DS's happiness, but I would feel rotten if he did'nt like JH and I'm stuck in traffic every morning to take him to a school he does'nt even like.

Thank you to all who took the time to read and respond. I don't know where I would be if I had'nt found this forum!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now