Help with a question please!

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
d393thomas

Help with a question please!

Post by d393thomas »

Hi all,

I am new to this site and I'm in the process of preparing my daughter for a grammar school test which she is due to take end Nov. For the last week or so I have been running through some sample test papers with her and pp until today all has gone well (i.e. whenever she has not understood a question I have been able to support her). However, I have now come across a question which I cannot fathom out, so I'd appreciate it if someone could offer me an explanation to the following question (from the Dynamite Education Publishers Ltd; Verbal Reasoning Standard Format Paper): -

Work out the answers to the following questions, using the alphabet below.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

38. If the code for IMAGE is RNZTV what does ELRXV mean?

40. If the code for FRAME is UIZNV what does GZYOV mean?

(Note: I have managed to work out questions 35, 36, 37, 39 which are in the same section)

Any help you cn provide would be very much appreciated !

Dean
dottie1974

Re: Help with a question please!

Post by dottie1974 »

I think these are 'mirror codes' - imagine drawing a line halfway down the alphabet, so between M & N.

A would then correspond to Z, B to Y etc.

So 38. would be VOICE

and 39. would be TABLE

Hope this helps
patricia

Post by patricia »

MIRROR CODES

A B C D E F G H I J K L M | N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Immediately put a line between the M and N to signify the mirror.

If the code for ESTATE is VHGZGV

What is the code for HOUSE

Is it a mirror. Look at the first letter of the word and code are they mirrors = yes E is 5 in from the beginning of the alphabet and V is 5 in form the end. Must make a second check. Find a pair of letters that are obvious if possible. In this case A is obviously the mirror of Z.

Checks done. Proceed as mirror code.

What is the mirror of H = S
What is the mirror of O = L
What is the mirror of U= F
what is the mirror of S= H
What is the mirror of E= V

I teach my children to know the alphabet well. I explain that the mirror is between M and N ie 13 letters each side of the mirror. I also show them that E is the 5th letter from the left and V is the 5th letter from the right.

With this knowledge it makes it easier to find mirrors reasonably quickly.

If they are looking for mirror of P its 3 away from the mirror, 3 away from the other side of the mirror is K

If they are looking for the mirror of F, they know E is 5th, therefore F is 6th. they know V is 5th so the sixth is U.

If they are looking for the mirror of X then its 3 away from the right end so its pair is 3 away from the left end.= C

Patricia
d393thomas

Post by d393thomas »

Dottie1974 & Patricia,

Thank you very much for your quick replies and explanations. I can't believe how simple the answer was !! I gave my daughter a quick verbal explanation this morning (based on your info) and she was able to crack the codes easily by herself.

Thanks again!

Dean
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now