Sixth Form in Tunbridge Wells

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

laurash

Sixth Form in Tunbridge Wells

Post by laurash »

Hi

Can anyone give me advice on Sixth Form in Tunbridge Wells? For example, how many 'new' entrants get into Skinners/ TWBGS VI form each year?

Not that I am thinking ahead or anything...............

Thanks
mystery

Re: Sixth Form in Tunbridge Wells

Post by mystery »

Think TWGBS take quite a few in - best thing is to e-mail the school. They also do take people in / keep people on who don't meet their stated minimum requirements for the sixth form.
sp

Post by sp »

My DS has just gone into Yr 12 at TWGSB (been there all the time) and told me that about 20 have joined the sixth form (obviously boys and girls). Not sure how accurate this is although he is doing Maths!!

FWIW one or two have been kept on when they didn't achieve 6 Bs but while in 6th form have to retake Maths or English GCSE if not at least a C.

My Ds is very happy in the 6th form, enjoys the more "adult" environment, and seems to be enthusiastic about his subjects (at the moment!!)
mystery

Post by mystery »

I think as long as you get good GCSE grades you're going to get into any of the tunbridge wells / tonbridge grammar sixth forms . All are mixed now I think. You have to apply approx a year in advance of GCSE and get conditional offers. You can hold several offers. No obligation to take any of the places, so definitely worth applying at the time. Each year quite a few get into the grammar 6th forms from the non-selectives as well as there being movement between the grammars.

Not all subjects are available at each school, and I would imagine quality of teaching might be better in some subjects at some schools than others. Lots of "children" feel so loyal to their school by then that they won't move. 6th formers attract a good amount of funding I think so schools welcome the applications I would imagine.
sp

Post by sp »

At TWGSB I seem to think external applications had to be in by Feb/March but it will be on web site under 6th Form.

I know of children getting in to various 6th forms at the start of this term so all is not lost if plans change!
lurker

Post by lurker »

I am pretty sure that Skinners doesn't take girls inti the sixth form- but I might be wrong
SSM

Post by SSM »

Skinners doesn't take girls in it's sixth form, but they do have some sort of agreement with TWGGS and TWBGS, to enable students to do subjects at either of the schools.

Also, not sure if it's new, but apparently 6th form admissions are done online through a website, I think it's kentchoices (or something), but some schools, like Skinners', are still doing their own admissions.

So if your DC is looking at 6th form for 2012 enty then you probably need to start looking at your options.
nigs

Post by nigs »

We filled out a form using Kent Choices for my DD's Sixth form move, but in the end, I didn't see the point of it because we had to apply directly to the schools we were interested in, fill out all necessary forms with them and wait for GCSE results. All the information relating to sixth form should be on the school's website including the necessary forms.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now