General advice for Yorkshire schools entrance exam.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Cloudmum

General advice for Yorkshire schools entrance exam.

Post by Cloudmum »

Hello. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

DD2 is current year5 at an independent prep school. We have not decided on senior school for her yet and will be doing the rounds of upcoming open days.

To cover all eventualities, I would like to do some work with test papers at home with her as she tends to flap a bit in Maths exams, alongside what they are doing in school.

I think it is unlikely we will go down the route of the Halifax grammar schools as they are so selective. (She is middle of her class) I expect to stay in the independent sector.

Are the entrance exams similar for schools like Wakefield Girls/ Rishworth etc? How do I find out which exams they do and which books to buy ? I am particularly interested in who does VR and NVR.

DD1 was dyslexic and went to a top public school (boarding) which was less selective but had a fantastic special needs department, so we have not Been through this process before.

We are also looking at some of the York independents, and would consider boarding again, finances allowing. Do the York schools follow the same kind of tests? Is every school different or is there just a general set of books we can buy that covers all?

Thanks, in advance, for your comments.
hermanmunster

Re: General advice for Yorkshire schools entrance exam.

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Cloudmum:

Must say Rishworth aren't very forthcoming on the website!
There is an Entrance Assessment for pupils at 11 years old. This is held in November, December or the early Spring of each academic year.
.. I wonder when the test is???

Many of the independent schools will have similar tests: tend to be reasoning (NVR & VR), english and maths +/- an interview. Some offer a lot of places and many girls taking indie exams end up with a surfeit of places. If you are looking at York there is Queen Margaret's, St Peter's, the Mount, and Bootham. Also Harrogate with the Ladies' College & Ashville. Nearer Leeds / Bradford is Woodhouse Grove. Furtgher afield Giggleswick and Casterton.

I suspect the best advice may be from your daughter's prep - where have they sent girls in the recent past?
2littleboysmum

Post by 2littleboysmum »

If you are prepared to go independent, you wouldn't have anything to lose by entering her for the Halifax grammars, would you? (though you would stand to save a lot of money if she passed!). Years ago, my mum made the costly error of not putting my brother in for CHGS, as she assumed he would fail the exam, and instead he sat for Hipperholme, passed, and she ended up coughing up fees for the next 7 years; it was only later, that she realised he could have done both exams, and even if he had failed the 11 +, could have gone to Hipperholme anyway (£££s worth of regret :roll: ). Do what you feel is best, though. A neighbour's daughter is boarding at Rishworth, and is really enjoying the experience.
2littleboysmum

Post by 2littleboysmum »

Also, can I ask someone who is knowledgable about these things, are the Halifax grammars what seems to be termed as 'super selective', and if so, what does this term actually mean? (my 2 little boys are some way off, but never too soon to start planning/worrying!)
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi 2littleboysmum,

The term is used to describe the schools that select in rank order as opposed to a pass mark used in conjunction with a catchment area.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hello Cloudmum,

Welcome to the forum. :) I only looked at a couple of Indie day school options but I don't think any used verbal reasoning as part of the entrance test. I expect each school will make their own arrangements.

I hope you find something suitable. :)
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Bradford Girls' test is English, Maths and Verbal Reasoning with an interview. They also have excellent exam results, and a strong emphasis on pastoral care. My DD1 goes there and loves it. She did not pass the 11+ test for Skipton (state grammar), but did for BGGS and has not had any issues academically.

Best wishes,
Bouga
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now