Sutton grammar last night

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2outof3

Sutton grammar last night

Post by 2outof3 »

Did anyone else attend? I'm sure many of you did as the place was packed :)

Unfortunately we didn't get the opportunity to hear the head's speech (next available appointment was too long a wait) so I'd be really interested in hearing people's views on that.

As for the rest it was much as I expected - which was a good thing! The boys seemed friendly and confident and when we were totally lost they seemed very happy to divert from where they were going and take us to our chosen destination.

DS is very into his science so we were happy to hear that over two thirds of the boys in the current sixth form are taking physics AS, so they obviously take their science subjects seriously! DS also likes his football, so again the fact that the current year 7 are putting out 5 teams for a match next week was great news. I felt very sorry for the boys splashing up and down in the open air pool, but DS assures me that the water felt very warm :shock:

All in all we would be very happy if DS was lucky enough to get a place next year, but would love to hear some other views :D
svg123

Re: Sutton grammar last night

Post by svg123 »

I too went for the open evening yesterday and felt the atmosphere was great and the students courteous.
Its a heated swimming pool :). Sports ground is 10mins drive from the school, but that shouldn't be a problem as they have their own school coaches. School is small in size compared to other Sutton Grammar Schools, but for me that doesn't matter a lot.
I too liked their academics result and my DS is also more into Science/Maths. Seems like a suitable fit.
All depends on the exam now.

Good luck to you and other trying for this school.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

I was working last night so couldn't go but sent DS and DH. Hmmm DS loved it - great sciences, good drama, good music, great maths. DS also said that they combined D&T with Physics so there was a lot of very practical engineering etc which is just what he loves. Didn't realise they had an outdoor pool. How lovely.

But DH was not impressed. Said there wasn't a strong balance between the Arts and the Sciences; that art itself was pretty weak and facilities not great (e.g. no greenery on site.) Bit frustrating as he is rather set against the grammars anyway because they'd involve moving house, so he's looking for faults. Wish I could have seen it.

Not had a chance to find out what they made of the Head's speech.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

I was also a bit concerned about the lack of "greenery" - it was very concrete! I meant to ask someone where the pupils spend their break time - would be a shame if they were just in the classrooms or the canteen. If anyone knows the answer to that I'd be happy to know :D (Mind you, my DDs have acres of space at Nonsuch and they have to be forced out of their classrooms to make use of it :shock: )

Also agree that art didn't seem great, but as my DS isn't at all arty, it wasn't an issue. The drama block was good though and music seemed strong and that was a much better fit for my DS.

Still keen to hear about the headmaster's speech if anyone can provide any input on that :D
svg123

Post by svg123 »

What exactly do you want to know from the headmaster's speech?
If you already know about the way exams are done at Sutton then you are covered. One exam but marking in two stages. Your DS need to score reasonable scores in VR+English comprehension before they check Maths + English writing task. Maths & English Writing are not multiple choices, the first two are.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

I was really just interested in what the headmaster emphasised in his speech - you can tell quite a lot from the points that the headmaster thinks important!

Was it just about exam results or did he talk about more "touchy feely" things such as bringing out the best in all of the boys etc, being part of a community, opportunities other than strictly academic ones etc etc. I would be quite put off if the results were all that the head thought parents might be interested in -I think a school is so much more than just how many A* you might get out of it at the end :shock: After all, the ethos of the school must come pretty much from the ethos of its headmaster so I would say it's very important. I wish I could have stayed to listen but by then I had a tired DS who was not inclined to sit in one place for very long :(
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

What I heard was:

Take part in extra curricular activities, there are a lot to choose from.
Take part.
Do YOUR best.
Enjoy time here.

The school will try to bring out the best in each individual (not just aim for blanket results).

The pupils helping were considerate and appeared to be well rounded.

Sixth formers were running the tours, they seemed knowledgeable and very articulate.

(This is my opinion - others might have heard and seen totally different things.)
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Thanks so much 999 mum (and everyone else who answered!) - that's really useful and puts my mind at rest somewhat :D
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

The head rarely talks about results as he tends to expect the boys to do well if they work hard. He is a keen believer in discipline and boys being rounded.

No greenery on site. The boys spend their breaks outside playing variety of games. From year 10 they are allowed out into Sutton at lunchtime and tend to play football in the park opposite
bugsbunny

Post by bugsbunny »

Spot on Surreymum! My son is at SGS and loving it! They do go out for sports in Northey and compete with other schools. Recently the Y7 forms went alternately in Goals near St Dunstan's hill as part of the trial exercise on holding their PE.
surreymum wrote:The head rarely talks about results as he tends to expect the boys to do well if they work hard. He is a keen believer in discipline and boys being rounded.

No greenery on site. The boys spend their breaks outside playing variety of games. From year 10 they are allowed out into Sutton at lunchtime and tend to play football in the park opposite