Removed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Glos_Mum

Removed

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cairo

Re: With test day fast approaching, what are you doing with

Post by cairo »

I'm in the same boat as you - one DC at grammar already, another sitting it this year - and I don't know what the answer is either!

We did have the entire summer holiday off, so have had to pick things up again in the past couple of weeks. DS is doing an exam practice session with other children this weekend and then will have a feedback session with the tutor mid-week. After that she's stopping (10 days beforehand) because she doesn't agree with doing work too close to the exam. So after that I will probably keep it low-key and just discuss words generally with him. We certainly won't be doing exam papers the night before!

This is such a busy time of year too, isn't it? Both children seem to be drowning in homework and then there's all the open days scheduled. And don't even get me started on how I feel when I see lots of people asking for tutors in Y4! Y4?? (Breathe, breathe.)
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

We are now doing a GL Assessment paper per week + review, backed up with the daily IPS 10-questions. I think she 'gets it' - just needs to keep focus on the day, and remember all those wonderful hints & tips she's heard throughout the past year :)

Can't quite believe it's nearly here...
crazybutsmiling

Post by crazybutsmiling »

Hi I am one of those lurkers! :oops: Just thinking what it was like last year, it is a nerve wracking time for us parents. I have dd2 to get through in a couple of years (not thinking of a tutor yet though)! But am trying to be more prepared than with my poor dd1 when I had no experience with this. Scary to hear it's just as worrying (if not more 2nd time round). Although I am still learning and storing all the info away in my brain for when the time comes.
Good luck to you all, I hope you all get the desired outcomes. There are lots of us feeling for you, and keeping all our fingers and toes crossed for you!
Pushkin

Post by Pushkin »

Second time round for me too with dds (yes 2 of them!) this time. Quite a different journey compared to my ds who is now in year 8. DS was generally quite resistant to doing anything at home and his usual score in the few test papers that he did do was low 80s. Although, an avid reader, he was not great on vocab but could fly through the codes and number questions. He somehow pulled it out of the bag on the day, finished 10 minutes early on each paper, and got into the top 120 of Pates.

DDs have always been willing to work and have scored much higher on the test papers. We kept things ticking over during the Summer break and since then have been doing short papers through the week and a long one at the weekend. I noticed yesterday some careless mistakes creeping in so we are going to cut right back now so they are fresh on the day. Also talking alot about coping with nerves, ignoring distractions, format of the day and generally building confidence :)
Pushkin
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Sorry Glos_Mum, I am one of those lurkers too! Just can't stay away - even though it's a couple of years until DD2's turn. So glad it's not us this year. Something I have noticed during appeals etc. over the last year is that if a child is genuinely bright and likely to get 5's for their SATs at school, even if they don't pass the test, there is a strong likelyhood of them getting a grammar place at appeal - although not always the first one on your list. I am currently working on upping DD2s SAT's levels just incase we have to go down that route!

Good Luck to you all - Not long now!

Pixiequeen
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

It would be good if we can get the results online without having to lie in wait for the postie...

I think we're all schooled out. Luckily, we were able to visit Ribston and HSFG last term, and have seen Pates and our local comp in the past couple of weeks, so I think we have all bases covered! I'm wondering if it's worth going back for the HSFG open evening next week? The headmistress implied that this autumn event would be more focussed on the school and less on the entrance tests. Any advice from someone who's done it before?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now