Visit to local comprehensive

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hasmum

Visit to local comprehensive

Post by hasmum »

Hi,
We visited our local comprehensive, with great reluctance on my part. My ds wanted to see it as all his friends are going there.
I must admit heard alot of stories etc. at how bad the school was a few years ago, but they had a new head for last 3 years and completely rebuilt all the buildings.

I was almost certainly amazed at the school site and facilities offered also the exam results have been going from strength to strength. My ds was so happy, I am glad I went to see this school, as I put it down as no. 6, but definately feel different now, having visited and spoken to the students there.

Also one of top performing schools for GCSE'S.

It is worth visiting yourself, and not going by word of mouth to get a clearer picture.
This school is walking distance also, which is another advantage. I do feel we have to keep an open mind and have plan B.

Good luck to everyone.
copella

Re: Visit to local comprehensive

Post by copella »

I agree, it does help to keep an open mind. I constantly hear parents making negative remarks about schools they have not visited and where the evidence for their remarks is anecdotal. Yesterday I heard a mother saying she would not send her children to Latymer (a super selective in North London) becasue she had heard the pupils were badly behaved on the buses!!! I know several children who attend the school and they are some of the most charming and well behaved I know. Only by looking at a school yourself and keeping in mind your child's needs can you make a decision. :)
mystery

Re: Visit to local comprehensive

Post by mystery »

Oh yes, and I know someone who keeps on telling me how terrible the comprehensive in their posh Surrey town is because the children don't say thank you when you stop the car for them at the zebra crossing. It always makes me laugh as I try to think of a grammar or independent school with children who do say thank you at zebra crossings!!

People talk so much rubbish about schools. Like the people who use our school because the parents swear at our more local primary school; it's the parents who swear themselves who give this reason for choosing the school. And at our school "shocking" things do happen; but the same parents who would tut tut if it happened at this other school say nothing about it!

Schools are always saddled with the past too, with very few people bothering to find out what the school is like now; so glad you found it so different from what you expected. This is probably the case at the majority of schools. There are few truly terrible ones.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now