11+ exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daniyal

11+ exams

Post by Daniyal »

Hi there,
My son will apply for QE boys next year. I am new in this country. Please can you guys give idea what's best options to prepare for QE test. Which books you recommend? Or any idea from which books they give test? Just want to have idea about QE entry test....

Are there any parents in this forum whose child is already in QE and can guide me?

Thanks!
Thingsbehindthesun

Re: 11+ exams

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

QE don't release any of their past papers and around 160 places are avaliable for students with academic ability & 20 for music.

The academic route has two sessions of tests,with the first entrance exam taking place in December and the second in Jan.All canadidates ( in 2009 there were 1242 applications for places in Year 7) sit the first round but then only the first 500 are called back.

The first round is the usual verbal and non verbal reasoning.With 80 Questions to be done in 50 Minutes and multiple Choice.Where the non-Verbal Reasoning has 40 Questions to be completed in 20 Minutes but in sections of 10 mins and is also multiple Choice

Second round-Maths:50 Questions in 50 Minutes and Multiple Choice
English: 49 Questions in 45 Minutes with there being 1 long and 1 short comprehension. 2 sections of grammar in mutilpe choice.

All the scores at Q.E are standardised,so the school takes into account the age of the child when they are sitting the test.

Do you know what levels your son is currently at? I think the maths will tend to be tricky due to the timing.

Also one book I've always seen being recommended for this school is First aid for English. Which can be bought from here,if you haen't got it already. :D

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... hp%23bs118
;D
Josa

Post by Josa »

Thingsbehindthesun wrote:English: 49 Questions in 45 Minutes with there being 1 long and 1 short comprehension. 2 sections of grammar in mutilpe choice.
Just to add that ds mentioned that there were 54 questions in last years' English paper rather than 49 in previous years.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I got that info from another member quite a while ago,so clearly it might have changed by now! :lol:
;D
Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

Thanks guys and especially Thanks to "thingsbehindthe sun", I really appreciate for your detailed message.

My son has just started year 5 and he got Level 4 in both Maths and English in his year 4 results. As far as I asked his teacher, he is doing good in school. I am really concerned about his high school. So one friend of mine told me about QE school. I went there for open evening as well but as you already mentioned in your message they don't let you know any thing about their test. Please could you recommend me books for preparation for entry test? I am doing "Bonds" books with him at home. As you mentioned one book "The new first ad English", I will def go for it too. If you recommend me other books then it will be really great favour.

Do you guys know someone who has give QE entry test? and if possibleif they can give idea which book did they follow?

Thanks once again :)
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Two years ago DS was preparing for QE and we did Bond, First Aid and a couple of papers a friend had passed on to us. Someone whose DS sat the exam last year should be along soon to give you more info.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Just bumping this thread to the top for you, Daniyal.
QE mum

Post by QE mum »

My son is now in year 10 at QE, so he did the entrance exams 4 years ago. However, I do not think much has changed in the past 4 years. We practised Letts, Athey, Susan Daughtrey, IPS and closer to the exams NFER or GL Assessment as it is now called. I hope this info helps.

Good luck,
Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

Thank you very much :). I am sure it's helpful, will go with these books. Thanks once again.

Regards.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now